wumember

Feb 17, 2003
ok, i want to learn how to wheelie but dont know where to start, i dont know nothing i can barely get it up.. i need to get it stable... thanks

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
lol... ok heres my method. Get your bike warmed up, and make sure you have gas in the tank. (other wise it could die, and oyu could flip) anyways, get going , and when you get into second.. be at really low rpms. Then sit farther back on the seat, and go full throttle and pull up at the same time. the bike should come right up. if it comoes right up to your balance poit right away, then let off down to 1/2 to 3/4. and get it back up to full. if it goes up top your balance point more gradually, just keept it wide, and like hold the handlebars to your chest. a tip i figured out... when your wheeling... and your going to shift a gear, shift earlier than you normally would, its a lot easier, and it keeps the bike up for you on its own. If the biek feels like its going back too far after you switch gears, let off the gas, and if you can get back on before it hits the ground to try to keep the wheelie semi up.

Hopes this helps!

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Get a feel for your power delivery first. I had one of those bikes a while ago, and depening on the mods/ condition of the top end/ conditon of the KIPS, it can vary alot. Keep your weight in the rear and crack 2nd from low speed. When you are comfortable with that, start shifting to third. Then learn to work your clutch. Hold the throttle wide open, and fan the clutch lever through the fricton zone. Pretty soon you'll be able to get it up in 4th or even 5th no prob., depending on the cond. of your bike. Speaking from experience, try this on grass or loose dirt first if possible (you will probably wheel out a few times). If you start to wheel out its hard to not panic, naturaly you will hold the throttle wide open. Remember to either roll off, pull the clutch in, or tap the rear brake. Practice will pay off. It's a valuable tecnique, almost nessicary for off-road, especially for racing. Eventualy it will come with experience. Just ride every chance you get, as long as you do this, life will be much more enjoyable despite your rate of success.
Have fun with it, its the greatest sport in the world,
-Nick

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
I've found that a KDX is a pretty easy bike to wheelie... I could pull 5th gear up easily just by giving a little pull up while going wide open while already in the powerband. Using the clutch works, but I find it makes things more violent, I like to just roll on the power and be smooth. The smooth electric power of a KDX makes wheelies a breeze, excellent bike to learn wheelies. One other tip, COVER THAT REAR BRAKE. It can save you a rear fender and bruised tailbone! Good luck!

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
not to sound like a smartass but you may wanna practice on a bicycle. it helps your balance and is quite a bit easier and doesnt hurt as bad when u have to bail and it doesnt tear up your moto. if u can wheelie on a bicycle then all u gotta do is get used to using the throttle instead of your feet.

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Sorry, for some reason I was thinking that you had a KX 125. The KDX is one of the easiest bikes to wheelie, stock at least. You can simply play with the throttle position in 2nd and 3rd, soon you will get the feel for it (matter of riding time). It will come up in first with no effort, but that's a VERY low gear, so its harder to ride it long. When I bought my bike new, when it was still stock, it was easier to wheelie than any of the other bikes I had previously owned (except for maybe a pro-built YZ125 race bike I had). After I converted it into my current race bike, I have noticed that it behaves more like a 125, ie- it no longer pulls those low speed tourquey wheelies like the stockers. If your bike is modified, try getting a stock pipe back on your bike. It will tame it down alot, making the power delivery much smoother, and lower. If this isn't possible, just KEEP RIDING, it comes naturaly with experience.
Best of luck,
-Nick

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
I pride myself on how far I can ride a wheelie, I'm 37, and I have been riding for 30 years, I learned when I was 16 how from my father, the 1st and most important thing he taught me about riding a wheelie is to pop it up in 2nd with the clutch while lugging the engine and as soon as I got the front end up really high I was to hit my reaer brake He made me do that over and over, cause it is natural to want to put your feet down once the bike feels like it wants to flip. and he wanted to brake me of that. Just like KDXnick said it is very important to get the feel of the power curve. to me it's easier to start in 3rd using the clutch, and when I shift riding a wheeli i shift without my clutch I just tap it into the next gear, I do not holed the throttle wide open, you shouldn't have to, like ATC3434 said just roll it on when you are at the balancing point. start on graduall uphills they help alot. Soon you will be able to go throuogh every gear, I can start in 3rd and make it to 6th with ease. And to me there is no greater feeling than riding a wheelie, well besides spending time with my family. good luck

Last edited:

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
One thing that i have read about the KDX, it is easier to wheelie than almost any bike because it has a shorter swingarm than almost any bike.

Simon Fuller

May 17, 2001
All the comments above are great but they seem to relate to power wheelies rather than a controlled short wheelie for going over a log for example.

Now I'm useless at long wheelies - all the previous posts are excellent and I'll give the tips a try. The method I was taught for popping up the front wheel is to use the suspension and weight distribtion rather than power. This way you pop a wheelie in exactly the spot you want at a moments notice.

So with the bike in a low gear (1st or 2nd to start) standing up straightish (how you would normally ride on the trails), bend your knees and then spring back up and back (pulling on the bars) quickly whilst rolling on the throttle. The theory is that you want to compress the front suspension and then use the rebound and your weight to lift the front wheel.

The comments above about using the brake and clutch to stop going too far still hold.

It sounds a little complex but in pratice is easily done. It is a useful technique for lifting the wheel or just lofting it slightly to speed over tree roots etc.

Practice, practice

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
if oyu want to do that kind of wheelie, it is even EASIER! you are right,t push down, and then pull up, lean back, and gas it at the sime time, and your front end will come right up over the obstacle

.....that simple.....

kdxfreeeek

Sep 18, 2003
hi i also have a kdx 200 its a 96 kdx 200 gettin all the goodys but if you look online theres a vid i think thats all about how to do a perfect wheelie

peace and ride safe roger

Top Bottom