How do you mount your bike in the truck's bed ?

yzf426

Jul 14, 2000
I'm planning on buying a truck and was wondering how you guys proceed to mount the bike in the truck's bed. What kind of ramp do you use ? What length ? And do you have the motor running while pushing the bike up ? Is it easy to do on your own ? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

dezertrat

Jan 23, 2002
You can mount the bike straight in the truck(tailgate won't close in a small truck shortbed) or put it sideways(rear wheel kicked out to one side, bars still facing straight ahead). When putting stright in just put two tie downs from the bars to the hooks near the front of the bed. When putting it sideways i usually put another tie down near the rear of the bike to keep it from falling. You can buy a ramp at any motorcycle shop for about 35 bucks. Its just a skinny aluminum ramp with some bumps for traction. I don't have the motor running, just get some speed and push it up. When you get to where you have to get into the truck, hold the brake and get in, then keep pushing. Remember that the brake is your friend.:p Its easier if you park at the bottom of the driveway/dirt hill etc. so the ramp is at less of an angle. I don't think its that hard and my truck is lifted on 33's. So go out and get that truck, then you can drive around town w/ your bike in the back to show everyone how cool you are. ;) :aj:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Same procedure as above except I usually have the motor running. I use the 6' aluminum ramp.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
I put mine in completely sideways, with the front tire pointing toward the front left or right corner. I also hook the tiedowns in the stake pockets on the top part of the bed rail. when the bike it sinched down the forks are not compressed near as far because tie downs are pulling more out than down.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I watched a guy at a local park with no helmet ride his bike up a 2x6x8 ramp into the bed of his truck. He made it and then did the same with his friends bike. Don't do that.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
I pick up the front wheel and put it on the tailgate, then I grab the right grip with my right hand and the swingarm with my left hand (while on the RH side of the bike) and lift it in. I suppose this process dictates me owning a two-stroke. I don't know if I could lift a yzf, and I'm sure I can't afford a light 4stroke!
I have a short bed, so I put the front tire in the LH corner of the bed, and swing the back of the bike over to the right, so I can close the tailgate.
On the left side of the bike, I run a tie down to the front of the bed, and one the the LH rear corner too... and one to the RH front corner from the right side of the bike. This makes the bike very stable without having to crush the forks.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I use the Moose heavy duty aluminum ramp . It cost about $65. It has serated holes in the ramp to keep the bike from sliding with the brakes locked. I just push the bike up the ramp with engine off, I then apply front brake and then step up on to the tail gate and contiue on in. My bike only weight 200 #. The ramp is very light. They have an option to install pin in your tailgate that ramp fits on to make it very sturdy but I don't use it. The ramp stays in place if you start the front wheel slow at first. The only time I have a problem with the ramp moving if the ramp is on a slick surface like a smooth garage floor. The ramp is 6' long so that it will fit in your truck straight with tailgate closed.

I would go for the fork saver. Great product.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
First climb in the truck.
Then stand on the left hand side with your left hand on the handle bar, then swing your right leg over to the rigtht hand side and sit. ;) :confused: Now you have succesfully mounted your bike in the truck.

Not much different then out of the truck:p

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Mich,
I think we need to change your name to Montana:p

I swear Officer, I was just trying to get my bike up in the truck, I needed all the leverage I could.:confused:

Top Bottom