Sayntmatt

Jul 22, 2002
Does anyone have any tips on how to reduce arm pump? I must get it bad because yesterday I went to a local track and I could only manage 2 laps at a time before I had to pull in and rest my arms!!! I know it has something to do with your fitness but does suspension set up help aswell?

Any tips would be great.

Cheers.

yzrider_69

Nov 5, 2002
no suspension doesnt really matter you can do a work out though that i do and i dont get arm pump really at all get a 15lb dumbell extend your arm straight out and rest it on your knee and twist it like you would your throttle 20 times with each arm and 4 sets. hope this helps! after a while go to 20lb

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I would think suspension set-up would have quite a bit to do with it. Your front tire bouncing off of things, sliding out, and stupid stuff like that is what makes you hold on so tight in the first place.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
building your forearms will help to a point... at least it will allow you to have an even tighter death grip, lol. Do a search on arm pump in this forum, this has been discussed in great, never-ending detail.

Works for me: Loosen your grip, bend your fingers when you get a chance, grip with your legs.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I prefer just stopping every lap, and grabbing a gatorade. ;)

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
to totally get rid of arm pump......do the following

1. unload bike at track
2. pull out lawnchair
3. put for sale sign on bike
4. sit in lawnchair

hehehe...........really, what okie says is best. use those legs and loosen up on the grips.

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Strange to say, but I've never had arm pump. One of the things I do is loosen up my wrists and hands with stretching exercises before riding (usually anyhow). I also use those hand-squeezer spring-things now and then and despite small hands, have a pretty strong grip (I think). What I've always heard and believed, however, is that a lot of arm pump results from holding on too damn tight. You squeeze the blood out and your wrists are locked. Instead, you want them loose and flexible, not in a death-grip. You should also NOT wear gloves that are too tight or cinch the Velcro closures tight --- run 'em loose. My 2 pesos worth . . .

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Next time you go out, really pay attention to how you are holding the bars. Its something that has to be focused on and practiced alot. Just like jumping you need to be aware of your body. This was a huge problem for me because I would hold on really tight wihtout even knowing it. I also put alot of wieght on my handlebars..i.e. supporting my upper body with my arms. This is very bad. Not only do you get tired quick but you mess up the handling of the bike. Try to teach yourself to grip with your knees and keep most of your weight on the pegs like someone said above.

Suspension setup helps a alittle but not as much as relaxing those arms. Also, Pro taper bars. rubber mounted triple clamps and comfortable grips help too. But relaxing that grip is much cheaper.

Practice it slow...go about 70% of your normal speed. Have to teach yoursef to do this unconsciously. Slow down to go faster.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i started leaning my body back when braking and leaning forward on accelaration to take all the weight off my arms. also, working those hand grip things help also.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
All of the above sound good.Another thing to check would be the way or angle of your brake and clutch perch.Are they as comfortable as possible for the way you ride.You might try rotating them a few degrees to aid in leverage of your grip.This might relieve some fatigue

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
It seems to hit me right away ( 1 lap or so) but after a while it subsides (not completely).  Maybe I just get used to it....

I know I have the grip o' death when I ride.  My 500 scares me to death.  As far as using the legs to grip, I've got the seat with smooth sides and I never used that Suzann Somers thigh master....

Maybe I should velcro my arse to the seat.

nylundm

Jan 9, 2002
I have found today one remedy to arm pump. I have had this summer
pretty severe problems with my hands. In 15min +2lap moto in the
end I'm so pumped that I can't pull the levers anymore. Scary.

Anyhow, I have tried every trick in the book, when I last
discovered what should be done.

Rest. Don't ride. Read books, go to movies etc.

It's so simple that I can't believe it. I have been riding whole spring
and summer at least two or three times per week. I have not had real or proper break.

I had one week rest, doing nothing. I was different man on the track today.
Riding was so much FUN. I almost forgot how much fun riding motorcycles is.

Top Bottom