How does bar position affect handling?

psalm3124

Apr 21, 2005
I'm about to get the pro taper rubber mount upper triple clamp, which allows me to move the handlebar forward or rearward. Assuming I don't change the tilt of the handlebar, how does moving the bar fore or aft affect things?

BTW, I apologize if this thread is in the wrong section.

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
The fore and aft movement of the bar is essentially just for rider preference and comfort in ergonomics. It essentially allows you to increase or decrease the size of the "riding compartment" . Some riders feel too cramped with the bars in the rear position and others feel to spread out in the forward position, basically it is what feels best for you. The handlebar position should not affect the handling of the bike as long as it is in a comfortable position for you. If you change the height of the fork tubes in the clamps this will affect the handling but the handlebar position wont unless it affects your ability to turn because you are uncomfortable with its location.

psalm3124

Apr 21, 2005
Thanks. Makes perfect sense. :cool: I come from a cycling background where fit is everything so maybe I had put too much thought into this one. :coocoo:

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Moving the bars forward or back will also change YOUR centre of gravity on the bike so it will affect handling in some situations. Just imagine more weight onthe forks (with bars forward) coming into a corner and you 'll get a steeper head angle, and quicker turn in, but it will aslo mean the forks will be working harder and will partially unweight the rear end, making it ride (slightly) higher.... opposite if the bars are to far back. Some bikes are sensitive to this, others aren't... one of the magazines did a piece on it.... sorry can;t remember which one!!!!! duh...

psalm3124

Apr 21, 2005
Kiwi, thanks for the added insight. I'll goof around with the settings. I'd imagine I can move the bars back for sandy tracks, and forward for more tacky dirt

dbn045

May 25, 2006
If the bar is higher it will make you want to stand more if it is lower it will make you want to sit down so you might want somewhere in the middle. But it also decides on how tall you are the taller you are you might want it higher. The reverse for if you are short

Top Bottom