ksilva

Nov 27, 2007
Hey Guys & Girls,

I’m new to the sport and haven’t done anything to my bike yet.

So I purchased an Applied Triple Clamp (top) for my 97 cr250 and now need to get a good set of handle bars to go with it. It has the clamps to use with fatter bars if that makes any sense.

I was looking into Pro Taper bars, but I’m not quite sure. I checked motosport.com and found that Pro Taper has really good reviews. Is it just a preference thing?

Thanks for your time,

Kevin

PS. What are some good grips out there on the market? I herd good things about those new pillow tops.

:ride:

ksilva

Nov 27, 2007
IndyMX said:
I have a set of Pro Taper Contour bars on my 125.. I like them. Much better feel than the stock 7/8" bars.

Yea? I was looking into thoes.... Thanks for the help!

JD_MXRacer

Nov 27, 2006
renthal fat bars are very sturdy as well. It basically all comes down to feel when picking out bars. Go somewhere where you can actually pick up the bars to feel the difference in the different sweeps.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
You will probably get many varied opinions. That being said, my last 3 bars have been ProTapers. Contours are great value for the money. Just bought a set of EVO's but haven't had a chance to try them.

Bars come in different heights and and pull back. Most taller guys like taller bars, as for pullback, find what feels good for you.

Grips come in three styles; full waffle, half waffle and no waffle. And to make it more interesting you can get each of those in soft, medium and firm. Again, get what feels good to you.

Post your height, I'm sure someone can get in the ball park for bar height.

I'm 5' 11" and like the Windam/RM-Mid bend with Renthal smooth grips in medium firmness.

Hope this helps, Steve.

yamarider88

Jun 24, 2007
yea i really like pro tapper i have the evos and my dad has the contour and i had the contours before on my yz250 but the only difference is the evos are a little bit lighter and thats because they are a little bit thiner. but i have crashed them many times and and have yet to see any distortion in my opinion they are the best bars i have ever used i have the henry/reed bend which is pretty much the cr hi bend. i like my bars high makes me feel like i have more control. i also don't think the pro tapper se bars are that bad my brothers had some good crashes and they have held up nicely. i would not buy renthal 7/8 or twin wall bars though i have had bad experiences with them bending on not very hard impacts but have herd good things about there fat bars. and also i would not buy the cheap carbon steal bars like the msr or fly they will bend on the first fall every time. but this is all just my opinion hope it helps.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I like the Pro Tapers in a CR Hi bend. When I bought my CRF450R It came with the Renthal 971's, those feel comfortable to me. Grips, Try some Renthal Kevlars. :)

How's riding been? Come out to Club Moto in Livermore sometime and try some MX, theres a good group out there.
http://clubmoto.com/

ksilva

Nov 27, 2007
rickyd said:
I like the Pro Tapers in a CR Hi bend. When I bought my CRF450R It came with the Renthal 971's, those feel comfortable to me. Grips, Try some Renthal Kevlars. :)

How's riding been? Come out to Club Moto in Livermore sometime and try some MX, theres a good group out there.
http://clubmoto.com/

Hey Ricky,

I'm learning, lol.... Had couple good falls, slowly getting better... Just trying to upgrade my bars to get more comfortable on my bike... I pass by club moto every weekend... I'll get out there one day, till then i'm gona learn the basics on the trails.... Hope all is well....

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
hey Kevin
yeah learn all the basics then someday try out a track. I put in a lot of laps out at Carnegie. Club has a nice begineer track, they also have free lessons once a month hosted by Terry Bostard.

Rick

ksilva

Nov 27, 2007
rickyd said:
hey Kevin
yeah learn all the basics then someday try out a track. I put in a lot of laps out at Carnegie. Club has a nice begineer track, they also have free lessons once a month hosted by Terry Bostard.

Rick

Rick, I was actually looking at that the other night on the website, i'm thinking about it.... Have you herd anything about the course?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
About the MX class? From what I have heard he will go over some basic cornering and jumping techniques. The beginner track coarse? it is pretty tame, the big track is pretty tame too, but in the early part of the day there are some pretty fast people out there, later in the day it empties out and would be a good time to go learn, all the jumps can be rolled over, so no worries for a begineer.

I will ask around about the class for you.

RIck

ksilva

Nov 27, 2007
rickyd said:
About the MX class? From what I have heard he will go over some basic cornering and jumping techniques. The beginner track coarse? it is pretty tame, the big track is pretty tame too, but in the early part of the day there are some pretty fast people out there, later in the day it empties out and would be a good time to go learn, all the jumps can be rolled over, so no worries for a begineer.

I will ask around about the class for you.

RIck

Cool deal, thanks! :cool:

Top Bottom