How does this '05/'06 KX250F look to you?

JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
Hello,
I'm in the market for an '05 or '06 KX250F. I've found both.

2005 KX250F
05kx250f.jpg

Story:
Fairly recent pic, by the way. He bought it brand new and also knew the exact date of purchase. Has maintained it extremely well, has all paperwork on maintenance; only thing he's done himself is change oil, etc. He's only selling it because he hurt is back and can't ride with his son anymore. It's also bone stock.
Price:
$3750 obo

2006 KX250F
06kx250f4.jpg

06kx250f3.jpg

06kx250f.jpg

06kx250f2.jpg

Story:
Owned by this nice German guy's son. They bought it new six months ago, it was in three races and then sat for the remaining three months. His son tore his ACL and aside from that, wants to stick with 450f's anyhow. It's pretty much stock also but has an upgraded PC pipe.
Price:
$3500

Although the '06 is cheaper, I just get a good vibe from that '05. What are some good questions to ask other than if it's been maintained well?? I've heard that the '06's are better overall and that there are some serious defects with the '05's (something about cracked engine casings or something).

Help!

-rye

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I don't know about any defects from the '05's but if I were you I think that I would grab that '05 before it was gone. The '06 looks like it's been ridden pretty good and hard, judging by the stress marks in the radiator shrouds and rear fender, and by the way all the paint has rubbed off the case cover. Maybe it hasn't been ridden too hard, but it's been ridden alot. I would pick the '05 definitly. The less time the previous owner put on it, the more time you get to put on it, that's the way I see it.

JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the '05 owner said he only rode it like 12x before he hurt his back. What's a good price I should offer him, since he did mention $3750 obo? I don't want to lowball/insult him, but that price is a little high. KBB has the suggested retail for it at $3840 and the suggested trade in value at $2630, so I'd like to settle somewhere in between.

-rye

JediRye

Mar 12, 2001
Dang,
I just called him again today. Thankfully the bike is still available but he's not budging a lot on the price. I can't justify paying $3750 on a used '05. He said he'd knock a hundred bucks off and throw in a cool bike stand (which is what I wanted) and a gas tank. That's still freaking $3650. I told him I'd be bringing cash and if he'd work with me a little more, and he said we'll talk when I actually get to look at it which won't be until this Sunday. I'm such a sucky haggler guys... Especially since I really want this! He said he doesn't want to go any lower because it's so new, and I like that, but dangit, budge? I asked him approximately how many hours on it and he said six or seven, max. Oh well, I'll find out Sunday! What do you guys think is a good offer and final sale price for this??

-rye

Top Bottom