How does this bike sound for my girlfriend???

Steve450

Nov 20, 2007
Hello ladies. I just got a bike and my girlfriend can't wait to get a bike and go riding with me (how cool is she!). Anyway, she's 29, 5'2", and weighs 108.

The local shop here in Virginia Beach has an 01 Yamaha TTL 125. It seems like the perfect bike for her. I do wish it had electric start, but it seemed fairly easy to kick. I do like that it's a 4 stroke.

Anyway, the shop is asking about $1000 for it. I'm going to try to get it for about $900. Do you guys (or girls) think it's a good beginner bike for her? I also figure it she looses interest, then it could be something I could sell and hopefully not loose to much money on it.

Let me know what you think!
Steve

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Never heard of a ttl. My wife rides a ttr though and likes it. We bought it new in 07 for 2000.

Steve450

Nov 20, 2007
Oh, that's what I meant, sorry. Only $2000 for a new one? Well, what would someone expect to pay for a nice condition 01?

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I think the TTR125 sounds like a great bike for her! You can check KBB pricing to see if it is in the right price range. You can always offer less and bring your research in with you. The bike may be in good shape but it is 7 years old.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They seem to hold thier value pretty well. I haven't seen any year go for less than a grand around here. But like Getme said, it is 7 years old.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Not sure where you are located, I'm thinking maybe CA? But check out prices on www.cycletrader.com to get an idea. Here is a 2006 TTR125 in CA with electric start for $1,000: http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2006-YAMAHA-TTR125-89663502 so $1,000 for a 2001 might be a little high, when you could get something a lot newer for about the same or a little more. But for the most part, the TTR's hold their value pretty well. And for your girlfriend's smaller size, the TTR125 should be a perfect first bike.

Steve450

Nov 20, 2007
I know it's 7 years old, but I have to say, it's a very clean bike. I went back today to check it out. They cleaned the carb and put a new spark plug in it before I got there. It started on the first kick. They aren't allowed to let me ride it, so one of the employees rode around the parking lot. He ran it through the gears and it sounded great. No smoke or anything.

It's really clean. There is virtually not a scratch on it. I talked with them for a bit and we agreed on $900.

For me, first of all it was a local bike. Second, they have gone through it, tuned it up and made sure everything was in good shape. And they said they'll give me 10-15% off on parts...which isn't much, but hey, it's every little bit helps. I really don't know a lot about dirt bikes as I'm still learning, but it seems like I got a decent deal....I hope!

Here's a picture. Sorry about the quality...camera phone.
Ashliesbikejgp.jpg

BTW...I'm located in Virginia Beach.

Steve450

Nov 20, 2007
The guy just dropped it off at my house and I finally got to ride it. What a great little bike! I can't believe how easy it is to start. When cold, less than 10 kicks and it came to life. Once warmed up, it feels like the weight of my foot is enough to kick it...and again, only one kick. What a fun little bike. I can't wait to get her on it.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Awesome, Steve! Squeaky has a TTR125LE, that has been modified with a few pretty cool things. She got the BBR skid plate/engine cradle, taller triple clamp, engine mods and a Pro-Circuit exhaust. Next on the list is the YZ suspension. She won't part with it to save her life!

Don't worry about the E-start, she had it on the old engine and doesn't miss it at all, the engine starts so easy (once it's warm :)).

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Wow, that thing is clean! Sounds like ya made out pretty good. She'll have a blast. You guys have fun!

Apr 30, 2007
I would definitely agree with everyone else - the bike looks great! It should be a perfect learning bike too! I'm exactly her size give or take a few pounds, and wanted the same bike as a started too.(Just watch out for when she gets comfortable and starts wanting more power!)

You are an awesome guy to help get your girlfriend started in the motorcycle field! :)

We need more boyfriends in the world like that. Mine seems to think I have too many toys! :coocoo:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Steve, just take what Lonewolf said seriously. My wife is already prowling around the KTM105xc. They are great little learner bikes, but if you guys ride with alot of other big bikes, she may want more once she comfy on the ttr. There is a ton of upgrades though, so you can hop it up a bit if you wanna go that route.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I would agree with Lonewolf, you don't find too many men out there that would go to this effort to support the g'friend -- it is very nice to see.

Good job on finding a nice clean bike!

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
_JOE_ said:
There is a ton of upgrades though, so you can hop it up a bit if you wanna go that route.

There is so much you can do to the TTR - it's amazing. Once she gets comfy on the TTR and wants more - I'd recommend upgrading the TTR rather than buying a whole new bike.

Like Rooster said, my TTR has quite a few upgrades already and it's great - I love it!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I know Squeeky. My bro-in-law has one with the bbr 150, shaved flywheel and yz80 front end. He has problems with transmission shafts breaking now. For that reason we are a bit apprehensive about modding it too much. I may pull the flywheel this winter now that she is pretty good with the clutch, the airbox is already opened up and it's jetted pretty good so it runs decent. My bro-in-laws isn't all that much quicker for the amount of money he has in it. We figured we'd be better off takin the cash we'd spend buildin up the ttr and put it towards the KTM. Maybe this summer.

Steve450

Nov 20, 2007
Thanks again guys. She and I are going to go riding next weekend. I'm sure she'll love it. If and when she out grows the TTR, we'll figure out what to do then.

I'll let you guys know how she likes it!

Steve

Apr 30, 2007
Please do! I can't speak for ALL of us here, but I'm pretty sure most of us are excited to hear about it!

Have fun!

Steve450

Nov 20, 2007
We're going riding on Saturday. The only thing I'm worried about is where to take her. There is this one place behind my house that everyone rides at and while it's not completely legal, the cops know about it and stop by just to make sure nothing illegal is going on, drugs or booze. It's fairly small and bumpy, so I'm not sure if that's a great idea.

The only real other option is at this place about an hour away that is a park with 12 miles of trails for ATV's and dirtbikes. It's full of very deep sand and ruts. I was up there a few days ago and I had a hell of a time on my bike. I'm fairly new though. I just don't think deep sand is the way to go. But, it's legal and a little more open than the other place.

So, I'm not really sure what to do yet. We may hit both places an see which one she likes the best.

What do you guys think? I'm thinking that if she's going to fall, it might as well be in deep sand!

We'll take pictures either way and post them here.

Thanks for the replies!
Steve

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Do you really think deep sand and ruts is a good idea? I hope she's got a good sense of humor or some riding skills or rubber bones.

luckymonkey

Dec 9, 2007
My wife has a TTR125 and she likes it. I got a BBR 150 kit and a new pipe. It will move. I need to get that 26mm carb and it should scream. Even with the bore kit the thing is so simple to start. You just have to remember to choke it and let it idle for a second or two. I don't know about selling it if it gets old to yours. I like to whip around on my wifes every once in awhile. I think that is a great choice for a beginner bike and with all that bottom, it should be an easy learning curve. Well Done!

CrashAddict

Nov 17, 2007
hahah.....I just bought the same bike for the same price for my girl friend
She loves it she is a little shorter than your girl and thay are the same weight.

We just got back from coil creek and she did not have a lick of problems other than keeping up! I even rode it and it will climb good sized hills with me on it and I am 170 pounds...it will all so ride the back tire if she has good balence!

Get it for her.....You will Like it and she will be more than pleased!!!!!

And if you all ever come to the mountians mabby we could meet up! my girl would love to ride with another girl!

Last edited:
Top Bottom