How good are most stock suspension setups?

micah 23

Jun 28, 2003
I am thinking about buying a new 125cc dirt bike. Probably a YZ or RM. I only weigh about 135lbs and would like to know if the suspension and the settings would be okay for a beginner rider.

Would I need to mess with anything or should it be fine for a beginner?

kevin5758

Sponsoring Member
Mar 15, 2003
I think you're safe to get the bike and just ride it. Try setting the rear sag alittle on the tight side, (95mm) and start with all the clickers at the stock settings. By running the shock sag a little tight, you won't throw the rear to far out of balance with the forks.

Last edited:

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
For your weight you need softer springs front and rear. Most bikes also benefit from a revalve. If done right, revalved suspension is plush over braking bumps but still maintains good bottoming resistance over jumps. If i was you i would go for the yz. I think they last longer and will have better resale value in the long run.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
but if you are looking for quality suspension, handling and cornering, then go for the rm- stock, they are more geared towards a lighter rider.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Micah, after you buy a bike and before you do anything else take the time to learn how to properly adjust your stock suspension. Then evaluate how it works whats good whats bad then you can make an informed decision about what to change .The workshop manuals are very informative . These days bikes come pretty well suited stock (although you are a bit lighter than most riders) and can often be put in the hunt just by proper setup. SAG CLICKERS OIL HEIGHT ETC. good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom