How high is too high and why?

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
I changed out my fork oil on my 03 CRF, they say not to exceed 14 ounces with a minum of 13.9 oz. in the outer chamber. Not a huge spread. I put it at the max since Im a heavier guy but like the plushness of the stock springs.

The bike is much better after the change by the way.

My question is this, whats the problem I run into if I go to say 14.5 or more ounces of oil?
Can excessive internal pressures blow the fork seal? I wouldnt think so...Or am I just playing with fire there?

Question number 2:
In the book, it shows to measure and adjust the oil level of the inner chamber after replacing it with 195cc's.
My question is this, where in the heck are they measuring from to set the oil height at??

The book shows a space or cut out in the picture, but its vague to me. And verbally they address it to the picture.

Also, Im assuming that this whole exercise is to get the inner chamber volume as close to right as you can prior to assembling the damper so its not so difficult to get the thing back together, since the excess drains off while you assemble. Right? Other wise why would they tell you to blow out the excess with air or drain it for 20 minutes?

I hate getting the how, without the why...

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
shawn, ive got showas on my RM also. it seems like the inner chamber is a spring loaded sealed unit, so i am assuming we set the airgap on the outer chamber of oil for bottoming resistance. but sorry, i dont know what the limits are, so i cant help much.

ps. do us a favour and get a measuring cylinder in mL's or cc's, its really hard for me to envisage what 14 oz is and it gets even more confusing when we mix the two units in one discussion.

ps while on the topic on the twin chamber showas, has anyone heard of the inner tubes collapsing if the midvalve is too stiff? a local tuner told me he had seen it, but the guys on that suspension-network forum thought that sounded bogus!

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
Bump,

Id like to get some kind of input. Sorry about mixing the measurements, but its what came to mind at the time. Its also what was in my book too, so...

Anway, Id love to find out how much is too much

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001

You measure the oil level from the bottom of the chamber as shown in the picture. You then assemble the cartridge and follow the bleeding procedure to pump out the excess and then you either turn it upside down and let it drain or blow it out with compressed air. This get's the oil volume in the inner chamber EXACT before you reassemble the entire fork.

I don't have an answer for question #1 and am curious about that myself. I know you get hydraulic lock at some point (which decreases usable travel), but I can't say whether it blows out seals or not.

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You wont blwo fork seals as they work better with fork pressure, once you go too high it will hydo lock .

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…