DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Hello all.....does anyone have any experience with FMF's Q series silencers? Q4 and/or Q2. I have 5 bikes I'd like to quiet down so I can ride trails without getting people angry. Can anyone tell me if it makes a big difference? Some comparisons would be great. I've also heard that the Powerbomb headpipes make a difference also....... thoughts? Thanks!

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I think the particular bike model makes a difference. Since you have 5 bikes I would suggest finding model specific forums.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Ok, good idea. Thanks.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
On my '03 & '06 YZ 125's it was noticably less loud; but not what I would call quiet. I'll let you know when I mount my Db Snorkel on it what it sounds like.

RideOn2

Oct 4, 2006
I put FMF Q2 on my 03 YZ250F it's queiter than stock, but no where as queit as I was hoping for. I hear all those BMW'S purring around and wonder How the after market manufactures don't seem to understand the definition of the word quiet.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
We put a Q on Thump's CRF450 ... it made a HUGE difference especially at a distance. It was wild to see him doing laps and not being able to hear him among the other bikes out there. He also really liked how much power down low he got from it.

Is it as quiet as a stock PW 50? Nope. But it is well worth the dB reduction.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Here's our report:

From FMF
As the pioneer of quiet performance mufflers, we raised the bar again in ‘05 with the second generation of Q series mufflers - the Q2. Built from the ground up, the Q2 is a completely new design, engineered for maximum performance while maintaining a sound level at or near 93dB on most models. The Q2 incorporates Factory Forward Engineering to move the muffler closer - centralizing the mass for improved handling characteristics. The new Hi-Flo formed end cap reduces weight and is less prone to damage. The Q2 has an anodized aluminum canister and is lighter and quieter than the original Q. All three models utilize a maintenance free USFS approved turbine type spark arrestor so there is no screen to clean or burn out. With their free flowing internal baffles and chambers, advanced sound-absorbing materials and now reduced weight, the Q2 is the market leader for low sound/high performance. Less sound equals more ground. Be part of the solution and take the noise out of riding, not the fun!

What we say

FMF Q2 2006 CRF450R:

Back to back comparison OEM to FMF Q2, by David Vaught.
Test track was a mixture of deep sandy loam and hard pack. Good mixture of tight and wide open sections. Track is moderately technical. Tested using stock header.

FMF Q2 Muffler Cost: $360
OEM Muffler Cost: $550

Sound Testing.

First test is the standard (SAE) stationary test., 20", 45 degrees, exhaust height at 4,500 RPM (RPM per MIC for CRF450). Sound meter set on A Weighted, Slow Response, per SAE and placed on a tripod.

Average of three tests: 95.4 dB (stock: 97.3 dB)

Second Test series, "starts". Bike and equipment lined-up as in the stationary test, but rider launches a moto style start. Sound is measured at it's highest point as the bike accelerates away.

Average of three runs: 115.2 dB (stock: 117.5 dB)
For comparison, an "commonly marketed open racing system" on a 450 tested at 121 dB... it was literally painful to the ear. The FMF was 100% + quieter!)

Ride Report

The Q2 exceeded expectations in a BIG way. I had an original Q on my '01 YZF250 and was pleased with the noise reduction but power was flat everywhere so I was expecting similar results with the Q2 on my 06’ CRF450.

Initial start was notably quieter than OEM. Seemed to be less responsive in neutral blipping the throttle. On the track it was phenomenal. I like to ride the bike low in the RPM and the Q2 made massive gains over the OEM. For that matter it out performed my full Ti race system by a different mfg. down low. Not one bog ever. Intentionally I tested going through corners a gear high with both OEM and Q2. Where the OEM bogged and then surged the Q2 just tractored straight through. It actually changed my riding style of one obstacle on the track. Where with the OEM and my full Ti race system I come out of a right hander in 2nd, hit a double and shift to 3rd in the air before a big step up. With the Q2 I was able to corner in 3rd, double and hit the step up, no shifting in the air. I was able to do this with the OEM as well but it required slipping the clutch to get the motor out of the bog. The bike does sign off early with the Q2 just out of mid range where the OEM continues to pull. It is not flat in the mid range and top end by any stretch but it does flatten out, somewhat.

I can not stress enough how much this muffler increased low end power, honestly it was shocking. I have not stalled a 450 in a very long time and I did manage to stall the bike 2 times on the track with the Q2. Both times drifting the back end into a corner I could not hear my bike as other bikes were right behind and in front of me. By the time I was set up for the corner I was dead stick. It will take some getting used to but maybe when others become more conscience of the noise issue I won’t have this problem.

If you like to ride mid to top end this is probably not the pipe for you. If you want a quiet pipe that significantly increases low end power the Q2 is a great choice.

Last note. Holding the OEM in one hand and the Q2 in the other the OEM felt heavier but I did not actually weigh them yet.

I was so impressed by this pipe that I actually gave my full Ti race system away and the Q2 is a permanent fixture on my bike.

Bottom Line

Hits:
Power gains off bottom
Quiet
Easy to install
You can hear others behind you, no one sneaks up on you.
Less clutch work/easier to ride

Misses:
Longer than OEM and closer to rear fender so the hand hold for lifting to stand is gone.
Top end flattens out.

psycho

King Rot-Gut
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2000
Thanks Okie. I recently purchased an '06 CRF450 and was looking at the Q2. This pretty much sold me on it. I need it for the SA and db reduction.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
Okiewan said:
We put a Q on Thump's CRF450 ... He also really liked how much power down low he got from it.

That's interesting because I put a Q2 on my YZ450F and it KILLED the bottom end. Plus, the fit was mediocre and I had trouble getting it seated fully on the headpipe. I still have it in the garage in case I need the SA part. I tried a dB Dawg insert in the stock pipe and I like it a lot better than the Q2. Due to our rural NM location, noise isn't as much of an issue as it is with some of you, so I'm back to stock right now.

CR38

Mar 13, 2007
I bought my 03 Honda cr125 used and it came with a Q silencer. It is quieter than a stock cr 125 silencer, but it isn't as quiet as I thought it would be.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Well, thanks for all the replies guys. I was at the track this past weekend, and they started a new "random" sound testing program. Luckily for me, they picked Senior C (my class, yea!), so my official test came out to a rather quiet 93.5 dB per the standard SAE stationary test. Not too bad, though I do have stock exhaust.....

I really think the issue is more with the 4T's than the 2T's.....

Top Bottom