How much trouble am I in?...please help!

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Ok, I could be in real trouble here so please someone help me..if you can.

Its a four stroke question and if my brand new CRF 250 goes bang it will be my own fault (not a bike defect)

ok, here's the story.
i'd pretty much broken it in last weekend so i decided to check the valves, no probs their, they were all sweet.
put back together, new oil filter, new Trans and engine oil and ready for riding today.
(I've been changing engine oil every race/practice day and the the oil filters every other race/practice day, so i've been keeping on top of that)

So, i went to my local practice track today, had a good days riding then as i pulled off the track after my last session i noticed a sticky substance around the side of the cylinder casing. so i stripped the tank off and saw engine oil on the top of the cylinder and on the underside of the fuel tank. I couldn't for the life of me figure out where it was coming from, the cylinder head seal was correctly fitted, no cracks. so i was puzzled. i called it a day and jet washed it.

when i got home i stripped it down to figure out where this oil had come from. when i took the cylinder head bolts off i realised what happened. one of the cylinder head bolt rubber washers had gone walkabouts and i hadn't noticed when i put it back together.
oh sh!t.
i took cylinder head off. it looked ok in there. no signs of dirt apart from on one of the camshaft holders. in the top of one of the sunken areas on the holders was a tiny pool of dirt and water. probably 2 droplets of watery oil and a tiny pinch of dirt. so i took the holders off and cleaned them making sure i didn't drop any dirt in the engine. next i drained the engine oil completely and took out the oil filter and replaced it and the engine with fresh oil.
put back together and fired up.
it sounded ok but i'm not a four stroke expert (this is my first) ticked over fine, reved fine.
i poured some of the old engine oil into a glass to have a look. it was cloudy as normal used oil is and there was no dirt that i could see or feel in the oil. BUT there did appear to be a very slight whiteish swoosh in it (tiny amount) but apart from that it looked ok.

so, anyway, i'm scared to death that I have finished off my pride and joy and i've barely broke the thing in.
so, what do you think. have I destroyed it?

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
no. not at all. make sure its together right - cycle some clean oil through there and you'll be fine...think of how much water/dirt gets inside a bike when you swamp them. I have seen bikes washed down the river, picked up, drained/cleaned and started only to run better for a full season...pull motor apart and they showed little, if any more damage than the "non motor washed bike".

in theory if you had oil coming OUT while you were riding, you probably were stopping stuff from getting in.

still scared, pull the head and check for yourself. that's the only way.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
thanks for the reply.
Like i said, it looked fine in the cylinder apart from that one little pool of dirt. it was a tiny tiny amount and the oil looks pretty good but I'm aware how sensitive four strokes can be.
it's kinda off annoying cause i'm so obsessive with oil and oil filter changes and air filter changes.
i do everything to keep it all clean insideand i do something stupid like that!
thanks again.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
murphy's law!!! how many people have thought their bikes were "ruined" but just need a new plug...or gas....or a cleaned carb!!!

Hey with all the issues I've heard about those bikes' rings not seating, I wouldn't be overly concerned...think of any dirt that did get in there as "helping to seat your rings"....

ha - just kidding.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
very true.
I guess it's been hammered into me by so many four stroke users that four bangers hate dirt, water, air, being over reved, under reved. over used, not used enough, fully synthetic, semi synthetic.

you just hear and read so much about how sensitive four strokes are you start thinking that your sitting on a timebomb and your just waiting for it to go horribly wrong. kinda made me paranoid about riding my bike.
kinda sad really that i feel that way cause it really is an awesome bike.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
syko said:
kinda sad really that i feel that way cause it really is an awesome bike.

its still a Honda......my neighbor has a CBR1000F with 44,000 miles on it...he beats it to death...runs the redline, doesn't downshift and loads the motor....doesn't do a lick of maintenence.....his bike starts fast and purrs like a baby....

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
Beating it to death and no maintenance on any Honda, or any other manufacturer, is a bad idea. Yes I agree that he should not worry so much however this comparison is a little bit extreme. Can you imagine how long your neighbour's M/C would last if he did do maintenance? Honda's are the best in my opinion, they are darn near bullet proof. But remember, no matter how idiot proof you build something, a better idiot will come along and break it.

As far as the dirt and water goes, you got it out of there pretty quick. I wouldn't worry about it too much. The threat has been removed, just keep your right hand cranked and your feet on the pegs. It will all be fine.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
Thanks guys

Can't tell you how much a relief it is to know that things should be ok.
Just want to thank you for reading and replying.
Guess I can go enjoy it again!

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
keithb7 said:
Beating it to death and no maintenance on any Honda, or any other manufacturer, is a bad idea. Yes I agree that he should not worry so much however this comparison is a little bit extreme. Can you imagine how long your neighbour's M/C would last if he did do maintenance? Honda's are the best in my opinion, they are darn near bullet proof. But remember, no matter how idiot proof you build something, a better idiot will come along and break it.
QUOTE]

I agree - extreme comparison....my point was that my neighbor's bike is 14 years old....still purring along.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
That first freak out is the worst with a new ride.
The proverbial sticky wicket of post purchase dissonance meets self doubt in regards to wrenching ability.
This too shall pass.
Happens to the factory guys too.

Top Bottom