How much would it cost to do this?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I have a friend who's selling a 2004 Honda CRF 450R. I'm interested in getting into enduro. How much would it cost me to convert the 2004 Honda CRF 450R to a 450X? I would do all the labor, so I'm mainly asking for the total price of all the parts I'd have to get.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Well, you'd probably have to start with a new stator to power the light, then the only other major difference between the R & X is the electric starter and the transmission ratios.

If you want the ratio's offered by the X gearbox, you'd have to buy whatever gears you'd need to match the X.

I don't believe you'll be able to fix an electric starter on the R. I could be wrong.

Other than that, the X & R have a different feel to the suspension, so you may have to change springs, valving & oil. Or you might be able to get away with just changing the settings.

The 450R I have was owned by a guy that ran hare scrambles, he didn't do anything other than adding the bark busters & a 9 oz flywheel weight.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
Personally I would save my money and by a 450X. I has the newer frame and you should be able to pick up an 05 for not much more. It would be much easier and it would all work without rigging. If you wanted to make more power you could pick up 450R parts (cam, exhaust, etc) off eBay pretty cheap.

Top Bottom