how to adjust forks on a 1996 kx250

titokman

May 5, 2005
I just had new fork seals in my 96 kx250, and when they installed the seals, they used 10 weight fork oil.
I ride woods trails mostly, and my forks just seem way to stiff,
because the bike doesn't handle for diddly. Everyone tells me to set my forks softer, but I don't know what to adjust .I know there are adjustment screws on the top and bottom of the forks, but I'm lost on which way to adjust.......
Forgive me for my lack of knowledge, I am just starting to learn how to tinker with the bikes.
any helpful advice is greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You want 2.5 wt oil for woods not 10wt-i would take them back and ask firmly for them to put 2.5wt in.You wont get it nice with 10wt.The lower adjuster is compression and the top rebound, anticlockwise is softer/faster.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yes, stock is 5wt, 10wt is way to heavy. If they are unhelpfull you can change the oil very easily yourself. Just remove the forks, unscrew the top caps, unscrew the top caps from the damper rod, remove the spring and pour out the old oil, pump the damper cartridge a few times, re-fill with oil, pump the damper rod to get it full of oil, move the outer tubes up and down a bit to get the air bubles out, set the oil level to about 105mm (might want to get the exact spec from the manual - run it at the low setting for woods) from the top of the outer tube with it fully compressed and put ot back to gether.

good luck

Jan 19, 2005
On the rebound (top of the fork) there should be a H and and S stamped on there. H = Harder S=Softer.

Also, on the compression. If you get confused the little rubber plugs you pry out have the H/S and direction to turn for each molded into the plug.

Top Bottom