wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I've found some used bikes I'm interested in but they are spread out all over the USA. Driving to the seller and test driving the bike is simply out of the question, so if I do this deal, it will involve sending a total stranger $$$$ and hoping they send me the bike, then hoping it turns out the way they suggest.

This situation seems chock full of things that can go wrong, but the online market is certainly better than what we have around here. Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for when buying a used bike from someone you've never met?

Thanks for your help!

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Are you nuts? NEVER send money to someone on a dirtbike hoping they will send you the bike. What I have done on bikes that are a large distance is meet them halfway. If you both drive 300 miles for instance you have covered a bike 600 miles away. Plus, they tend to be more honest about the condition of the bike when they are faced with driving 300 miles for nothing because they lied about the bike.

Do not send money and hope somone ships the bike. Thats just asking for trouble.

B

biglou

I've bought a bike or two sight unseen but from people on this board that I had either met in person previously or had gotten to "know" them through this board. I sold my 450 to a guy from Houston that I did not know. He saw my ad and after several phone conversations we met about 250 miles south of me this past Spring. Good pictures, phone conversations, and gut feeling will go a long way before you waste a bunch of time and gas driving. Talk on the phone, get good pics, and if something doesn't seem right, decline. There will always be another bike.

Top Bottom