How to clean Spark Arrester?

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
I did a search and found nothing on this. I'm thinking I will soak it in kerosine. Is there any fiberglass in the spark arrester that will soak up the kero? 1988 KDX 200
Thanks

Houndog

~SPONSOR~
Oct 11, 2002
Mine is an aftermarket silencer and has three screws on the end which allows it to come apart, make sure you have new packing.

AFTER YOU OPEN IT UP
When I cleaned mine I took the torch to it, heat it up until the spooge is carbon(don't melt/cut the spark arrester), it then comes off very easily with a wire brush.

Last edited:

88KDX

Jan 30, 2003
Mine is a stock spark arrester for an 88 KDX. It does not come apart. Will I ruin it if I put kero in it and let it soak?

galena

Feb 26, 2003
Hey 88kdx,I would'nt recomend useing kero because it is oilbased and would soak into the fiberglass packing and would not evaporate as good as if you used gas or some other brand of cleaning solvent that will evaporate and not leave a oily film causeing it to replug more quickly not to mention soke like a misquito fogger and rob your power !!! I have an 87'kdx 200 that I took and cut the pipe apart at the expansion chamber and removed the screen and packing in it and welded back together and increased the HP by almost 5HP and the bottom end to mid range is a RUSH now.If possible cut it apart at the rear and pull the cartridge out to clean then weld it back in,Good Luck.it's worth it!!!!

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Your stock 88 KDX doesn't have any fiberglass in side of it so not to worry. Basically there is a series of baffles that help reduce noise just like a car muffler.

You might try something like oven cleaner as well. You'll want to use the non heat activated type then take a pressure washer to it to rinse it out.

David

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…