svtman79

Oct 29, 2009
What is the main difference between a silencer and a spark arrester? Is there any advantage to one or the other? Where I ride I don't think any laws are enforced. The bike in question is a 99 KDX220 soon to be with a Pro Circuit pipe.

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
Difference

The basic difference is in the name; a Spark Arrestor prohibits particulates of a over a certain size to escape the pipe, a Silencer reduces sound output via mechanical (chambers, baffle plates, Etc.) or sound deadening material (fiberglass, synthetic wool, Etc.) wrapped around a perforated core. Most modern Spark Arrestors also have a silencing component but, Silencers do not have Dept. Of Forestry approved spark arrestors.
Regardless of whether or not it is enforced, if we, as motorcyclists, do not make a concerted effort to ride quiet and respect the land we will continue to lose land! It seems as though people don't remember the good we do, i.e.; benefit rides, area clean ups, Etc. But they never forget an annoyingly loud bike, or unneccesary damage we do.
Okay, off the soap box now! :blah:
Enjoy your KDX, whatever you decide to do with the exhaust. Extensive dyno testing has shown that a Silencer/Spark Arrestor power loss is almost immeasurable when a motor is properly jetted for the conditions.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
How about not catching the swamps on fire? :-)

You can't ride on USFS land without a spark arrestor (not legally). Silencers are more for closed course competition.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
I have read (no actual experience) that an after market spark arrestor has little or no power advantage over the standard one. I think there may be a weight advantage though. If you search these forums someone has actually measured the weigh difference and posted the results here.

Top Bottom