pgbutler

May 3, 2008
Need advice on fitting a Moose Pipe Guard to FMF pipe on my KDX 220.The guard came completely straight much to my surprise which means I must some how bend it. How exactly do I get it to conform to the exhaust? It looks to be heavy guage aluminum which won't be easy to bend.
I'm worried about damaging my NEW pristine exhaust in the process.Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.Thanks !

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Putting the guard into your freezer before bending it will make your job quite easier. After that, all it takes is patience and a rubber hammer. I'm sure there are easier ways though.

pgbutler

May 3, 2008
I don't as well.Wouldn't it get brittle and possible crack? I'm worried about damaging the exhaust while pounding it into shape.Maybe I will use the stock exhaust if it has a similar bend.Anyone else fit this guard onto their bike? Any suggestions would be useful.Thanks!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
A quite experienced mechanic I know of once repaired my clutch lever by placing it into the freezer prior to unbending it. He said that it kept the piece from breaking, making it more malleable. Since neither of you guys know about this method I decided to do a bit of research and I didn't find anything backing up my "theory". All I found is heat making it more malleable, like everyone would think so. Finally I'm sorry if you did try that method and it didn't work. But I do trust the mechanic who told me that. Anyway...

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
pgbutler said:
I'm worried about damaging the exhaust while pounding it into shape.

I would not recommend pounding on it while it was resting against your pipe.

If you have a heavy duty vise I would recommend clamping a piece of water pipe in the vise and using that as an anvil.

Rod

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
pgbutler said:
. . . I'm worried about damaging my NEW pristine exhaust in the process.
Beat it against your old, beat to crap exhaust. That should get you close, anyway.

It probably won't be a quick process. There will be a lot of test-fitting.

pgbutler

May 3, 2008
Wish they could bend these before sending them.I probably would not have bought it I had know it was straight.In any event using the old exhaust to rough fit it sounds like a good idea....it should give me a rough profile with which to work.I definitely do not want to place it on the new exhaust and start hammering.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
pgbutler said:
Wish they could bend these before sending them.

To do that they would need to sell a model specific to your exact bike. That would raise the cost of the guard significantly because they would have to build, inventory, and track hundreds of different models.

Rod

Top Bottom