How to hit long straitaways

nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
ive seen good guys crouching and standing up and seen good riders sit down.. whats the best way to hit straits

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I passed a lot of guys that were sitting down today. I like to stand and let the bike do the work, sitting is for corners and seat hoping...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
BigRedAF said:
I passed a lot of guys that were sitting down today. I like to stand and let the bike do the work, sitting is for corners and seat hoping...

And old fat guys like me.. ;)

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Nice weather today, I went to an open practice at a track that I don't really like, it's close to home. As I pulled in at 0930 the Helo was taken a kid with a compound fractured femur to the ER. A few hours later an other one crushed his ankle, it looked painful.

I rode tight, I'm feeling the soreness already, tomorrow is going to suck...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I rode at a ORV park.. Old gravel pit.. Lots of sand. They have a couple of sections of whoops that are pretty long, on is about 1/4 mile long. Not too big, but long. Was great practice.

I don't like playing in the sand, I'd rather ride on a track, but you take what you can get in the weather we've had.

I rode loose, I'll feel great tomorrow!! whoot!

KX85 rider

Feb 23, 2008
I rode at cmx centre yesterday and there was this really good boy on a KTM. I think it was a four stroke but am not 100% sure. Anyway, theres a really big table top on the pro track (about 3/4 different tracks for all different levels of riding) And that boy was the only one that could clear it, it was REALLY long. And to add to that he pulled a quick whip in the air on that same jump! It was amazing! Anyway he was probably the best rider there. on the same track theres a bend that leads to a long straight and every one was hitting it hard but i watched the guy on the KTM on ghe corner and realised he was hitting it the fastest and from what i recall he opened the throttle just coming out of the bed-putting his foot out-and going along the outside sitting down, so i think sitting down is the best way to do it. Also when you accelerate hard it's like in a car, when you sometimes go back in your seat. so you hold on to the grips. but that's not the best way, you should tackle that force with your stomach muscles-that's the best way. Hope this helps

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
There are as many different types of straightaways as there are corners. Some require sitting and some require standing. Just learn how to ride and do what's right for the situation. :nener:

Everyone is going to give their opinion but at the end of the day RC will pass them standing on his head...

d_alexand

May 14, 2007
different styles

With the standing or sitting thing... some people sit everywhere because that's their riding style, and others stand. You can definitely sit more when the tracks are smooth and groomed, but as the day goes on you have to stand more due to braking/acceleration bumps.

Standing takes better conditioning, so when fatigue sets in some people start bustin' out the couches :ride:

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
In general, you will do better standing the majority of the time you are riding. The majority of REALLY fast guys will be standing nearly the entire time. Standing up allows the suspension to work much better as your legs help soak up the bumps (which means less impact on your body which causes fatigue). Just make sure you are gripping the bike with your legs and not just holding on for dear life w/ your upper body. This will lead to less fatigue and better control of the bike.

Personally, one of my biggest problems is that I sit down way too much. I compete in HS racing, and always start the race w/ perfect"ish" form. Unfortunately, about 1/2 way into the race my legs tire from supporting my 215lbs and I start to sit down except in really rough terrain. My lap times definitely start to suffer.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
You can only become so fast when your riding style is sitting, all the fast guys stand, even in a lot of corners they are standing.

Dec 8, 2007
Weather you stand or sit depends on the terrain. If its a bumpy straight then stand if its smooth then sit. If you try to sit when you go fast over bumps you'll be ejected from the bike, if you stand on a perfectly smooth section your just waisting energy. How many guys you see standing during a holeshot? None, cuz the start section is always smooth. How many guys you see sitting while blitzing through the whoops? None cuz you'll never get to the end of the section. Thats what I'm thinkin anyway, and thats how I ride.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…