mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
I was just wondering if theres any tricks to installing a jet needle. I looked it up in my service manual and it looks self explanatory. Is there any thing I should watch out for when switching the jet needle?

Also, I read somewhere that you may have to readjust the slack in your throttle cable after installing a new jet needle or changing the clip position. If I do have to do this, how do I know when it is adjusted right? when there is 2-3 mm of free play in my twist throttle (as specified by my service manual)????

Lastly, do you normally have to readjust the throttle cable slack after only moving the clip position 1 slot?

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
No throttle cable adjustment needed for either.

You are just replacing or changing the Needle, right, not the brass jet that the needle goes thru?

On Keihin carbs, changing the needle is aided by a 6mm nutdriver.....

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Buckholz said:
On Keihin carbs, changing the needle is aided by a 6mm nutdriver.....

Or even better, the 6mm hex tool they sell for changing main jets in Keihin carbs. This tool can be used to change the main jets via the float bowl drain and also used to change the jet needle.

Am I the only one that finds it completely asinine to name the one part the jet needle and the other, mating part the needle jet? Couldn't they spring for a new word for the name of one of them? :bang:

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
I agree with you mtk on the naming, probably very different names in japanese....

I have a couple of the shorty 6mm hex tools, but I can swap out needles and positions much quicker using the nutdriver.... You can just retract the spring and the little white collet thing outta the way, unscrew the bolt holding the needle in, and leave the nutdriver dangling on the nut. Can do a needle in just maybe a minute....

I live at 7,000' and get to rejet almost every ride....

Woodzi

Sep 22, 2005
Tricks? Yes. Don't lose the clip. When they fly,they are gone.

Another trick - you can buy clips at your local hobby store. The model airplane guys use them.

Don't ask me how I know.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Woodzi said:
Tricks? Yes. Don't lose the clip. When they fly,they are gone.

Very true.

My cure is to have a spare in the jet box. I never lose or break something I can easily replace. ;)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom