pmullins

May 23, 2005
Just bought a 93 KDX 200. I really like the bike, but it is a little too tall for me (I'm 5'-8" tall). I am a woods rider used to Honda XR200 on which I can touch both feet flat in rough, twisty and steep terrain of southwest VA. Does the monoshock spring adjust to drop the rear and how about sliding up the forks until they touch the bars? What about aftermarket seats? Are any thinner ones available?

Joe Ortiz

May 28, 2003
I'm also 5'8", and there is a vast information on this site, I'm not aware of smaller aftermarket seats, although I was told that you could cut down the seat foam, also Kouba Lowering Links are available as well, I also heard of adding a second sole to your boots, I need to lower my 02 220R, my local dealer will lower the front and back for about $200.

Joe

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
my local dealer will lower the front and back for about $200
By doing what, do you know?

Jan 16, 2005
I shaved the seat out an inch, lowering links (1.25in.) and slid the forks up to balance it out. Much much better. I've noticed since doing this, I not only ride better (more confident) but I don't have such a potty mouth anymore.

ronhawker

May 21, 2005
Shorter Suspension for Free

I have a 1990 model with about 2 inch lower suspension and I want to raise it. We could swap and it would only cost us the shipping. I am in Phoenix. The rear shock is professionally done. The front simply adds a spring which I could take out and send along with the shock if you are interested.

Ron

pmullins

May 23, 2005
What parts are we talking about swapping? Just the rear shock? How big a job is it to remove and replace?

thanks,

Phil

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Humm, I'd be concerned. There's a right way to lower a bike and theres more to it than "re-working" springs. You might want to call an actual suspension shop to get the details and associated costs before doing anything. When you lower it, spring rates and valving need to change to comphensate for the reduced travel. Example, simply pulling the forks up will dramacticlly change the handling of the bike... shorten the wheelbase/make it turn quciker (probably too quick) and add in some serious headshake. Lower the back (with linkage) and do nothing to the front, it's steer like a chopper.

Talk to suspension experts before doing anything, just my $.02 .

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom