Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
I am trying to find out what I would need to convert an 88 200 to street legal. All I need in Idaho is a mirror, head light, tail/stop, and horn. Does the KDX put out enough juice to drive a stock headlight and 25/5watt tail light? Also, what kind of silencer is good to help drop the exhaust sound using a stock expansion chamber? Thanks in advance.
Loughty

Rich331

Dec 4, 2002
Just out of curiosity, have you checked with your DMV to see if they will even issue license plates for it since it's a two-stroke?

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
I believe so. The registration has a big disclaimer on it "Liscence issue does not mean that the vehicle is street legal" My Xr is not dot approved and it was liscenced fine. I believe if I can quiet the exhaust a little more and put lights on, it will be. They arent too picky about emissions here. Kind of a general rule of thumb is "if you cant drive through the smoke your car is causing, then that is exessive". :)
I just need to know if there is enough electricity to power the lights.
Thanks
Loughty

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I HAVE MADE TWO NEWER 95,96 KDX'S LEGAL IN MICH. THE 95 POWER A TAIL/BRAKE LIGHT OUT OF A CAR JUST FINE BUT MY 96 WOULD NOT. I CALLED FRP AND HE SOLD ME HIS BRAKE SWITCH. IT CUTS THE POWER TO THE TAIL LIGHT TO DIM IT SLIGHTLY BUT WHEN YOU HIT THE BRAKE IT GOES BACK TO FULL POWER AND LOOKS AS IF YOU HAD A BRAKE LIGHT. I DID NOT EXPLAIN IT AS WELL AS HE DID BUT IT WORKS REAL GOOD. I HAD TO "TEST IT" ON A FEW OF OUR FINEST AND THEY DID NOT PULL ME OVER AFTER FOLLOWING ME FOR A FEW MILES (whew)!!!!! YOU CAN SEE A SMALL DIFFERENCE IN THE HEADLIGHT WHEN YOU HIT THE BRAKES BUT IT HAS NOT BEEN A PROBLEM FOR ME. ONE OTHER PLUS IS YOU CAN USE THE STOCK TAIL LIGHT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
that is good to know. I will have to check out the brake light switch that you are talking about. I wanted to make sure that I would be able to liscence the KDX before buying it. It will double as transportation to school because the best parking here is for motorcycles, so it would ruin the point of buying a new bike vs fixing my xr. I think the 88 had good power. It ran the headlight just fine. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks
Loughty

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
You have to check the state regs. In MD, the stock headlight is not bright enough nor does it have a DOT stamp. To get a proper headlight here, you must also re-wind the stator to get enough current. In MD, we also need a mirror (might be 2) as well as a horn, speedometer, DOT tires, and turn signals. Many states don't have the mirror or turn signal rules. At one time in MD, you couldn't even replace a steel tank with plastic.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
I checked the Idaho requirements for liscensing a bike, and all that I need is a Headlight capable of lighting up a person/vehicle at 100 ft at 25mph, 200ft at 25-35, and 300ft at 35+. Also a brake/tail light good for 100ft (stop) and 500 (tail), a mirror, muffler that is not louder than the factory one, insurance, horn, fenders, and brakes on at least one wheel. So, if the tail light/ brake light switch will work on the 88 model then I think that I should be fine. Thanks for the help
Loughty

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
Jim: Yeah, no way in hell you're getting a two stroke tagged in MD either. A friend of mine had to battle w/ the MVA for months trying to get his late 70's Kawi 2-stroke street bike tagged--and it's a road bike!

John-Formerly residing in Fredneck.

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
Fuzzy,

I'm surprised. I called the state police a year ago about the plastic tank and 2 stroke issue (as well as asking about any concerns with frame geometry and brakes for a bike that is titled as "off road use only"). They didn't have problems with any of the above. BTW, I was a MD state inspector years ago but only for automotive & light trucks; the state cop was cool about the idea as long as lights, mirrors, horn, etc. was legit; he wasn't even worried about a calibrated speedometer which can be a problem on street rods.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
One of my friends used to ride an older blue (no idea which kind) enduro 2-stroke on the street. Liscenced and everything. So I am assuming that it will be fine. Hard part will be titling it. I have to find out if the seller was the original owner or not. Thanks for the help with the lighting power, and the ideas for the brake switch. Also in making me check my state regs.
Thanks,
Loughty

jc

Sep 22, 2001
Wow you guys live in tough states. In Mich. they even used to let you make three wheelers street legal for about a year or so back in the mid 80's until somebody thought about it. I remember my neighbor riding his out of his garage in the moring going to work. Crazy huh?

dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
I bought mine street legal so I went down and got insurance on it....now I just need my motorcycle license. The guy I bought mine from put in a high wattage coil. 55 watt if I remember correctly. I can call him and find out where he got it if you are interested. Dan

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
Thats alright, the one I am looking at has a good light output. I usually just have the lights as a precation because I am rarely riding after dark.
Thanks though,
Loughty

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Where in Idaho are you from. I'm from here in Pocatello. There is a guy riding around here with a street leal klx. I am trying to snag him down to see what he has done. It looks like he has done a good job.

drisheavy

Nov 24, 2002
put an American flag sticker over the "not for highway use " go to a bike shop an get turn signals, mirrors, a universal switch to operate turn sigs, flanders makes them , get a horn from radio shack, put a switch on the front brake lever and the rear brake pedal, replace the rear bulb and socket with a 1157 automotive socket and bulb , run the amzoil at a 100 to 1 so it dosent smoke. p.s. wire it like old vehicles , one ground throughout, once you see the universal turn/horn switch it all makes sense, if your not sure about it, start by installing a fuse in your hot wire that runs your headlight and one in your tail light then go from there, it is more simple than getting up early on monday to go to work

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Go to: www.bajadesigns.com
1. Lighting Kits-Dual Sport
2. Kawasaki
3. KDX200/220

$395.00 for everything. They will rewind your stator for $75.00 or you can do it yourself. This must be done to provide enough power to run the lights, horn etc.

Or you can just rewind your stator and buy the parts you need. Check it out.

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
Clutchcover,
I am originally from down near Twin, but now I am up in Moscow for school. Not much fun, but occasionally I get time to ride, though it usually while I should be in class.

AndyD

Nov 26, 2002
Hi, Do you have any instructions on rewinding the stator for more output, ie, wire gauge & number of turns ? Cheers & seasons greetings !

Larry Ulrich

Dec 27, 2002
I have licensed all my dirt bikes (2 stroke and 4 stroke) since the '70s. My kdx has a rearview mirror, cheap horn, and stock lighting. You don't ask the DMV about your illegal dirt bike, just take proof of insurance and your title and tell them you want a plate. The problem is, each state and some counties within the state are different. Just keep it as simple as you can.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
before you buy your lights and horn and stuff, i'd try to get insurance and the tag first.. your probably gonna go down there to get a tag, and they just gonnna say,,, huh?

Loughty

Nov 24, 2002
not sure on a kdx rewind, but on an xr, just for ideas, go to www.justxr.com and click on tech/tips and look for the article on the xr600 stator rewind. just an idea. I have no clue on the kdx stator. Another site is http://www.hondaxr.com/tech/ click on the stator articles. and yes it would be best to see if you can get it liscensed before you do this.
Loughty

Top Bottom