92CamaroZ-28

Aug 29, 2006
I have a 1980 Suzuki PE400t I would like to paint the fenders and gas tank black. It is looking a little rough due to age and I want to know the steps to give the plastic a paint job that will hold up to the off road riding. Any advise would be great.

92CamaroZ-28

Aug 29, 2006
Never mind I did a search and no good way to paint plastic so how about black replacement fenders for my bike anyone know where I can find them.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
:yeehaw:Finally we have confirmation that the search feature works for new members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Newbies of the past, bow down:worship:, here comes a new member with a :clue:.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'll guess that for that bike you can try to watch that big auction site or go with universal fenders and adapt them to fit. I'm pretty sure the PE and RM plastic from those vintages were the same.

92CamaroZ-28

Aug 29, 2006
Chili said:
I'll guess that for that bike you can try to watch that big auction site or go with universal fenders and adapt them to fit. I'm pretty sure the PE and RM plastic from those vintages were the same.

Yeah I routinely watch the board for new plastics and I can find them but instead of freashing up the yellow I would like to change up the plastic to black.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The bike is 27 years old. Looking for a specific, non-standard color for a bike that old is more than likely going to be an exercise in futility. You might get lucky, but more than likely you'll spend a long time looking in vain.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
It can be done

You can paint the plastic fenders just fine. A plastic gas tank is a different story though.

You can get additives for painting plastic to make the paint more flexible at an autobody supply house. (Lots of car parts are plastic these days.)

Personally, I'd just shoot 'em with a rattle can and repaint when needed.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I had a friend that painted the old plastic on his yz 250. The plastic was trashed.

He used the krylon "fusion" paint. The bike looked fairly decent. Much nicer than the white streaked plastic.

Obviously, this is a half-assed solution at best, but it is possible.

Top Bottom