Paint my plastics yes or no???????????

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Has anyone ever tried to paint their plastics?

I am thinking of painting my son's xr50's red plastics black. I just want to see if it is a good idea or not. If you have done it and had terrible results (chipping or scratches after a few rides) or great results let me know.

Also if it worked great and you had good results please let me know what type of paint you used.

The plastics that I am going to paint are the old beat up plastics that are already on the bike I am also planning to put on some graphics on it to protect it a bit. I have a brand new set of plastics just siting around that I will put on once my son gets better at riding and stops crashing.

Thanks.

colbyc28

Dec 1, 2006
I would not recommend painting the gas tank if it is plastic. I painted mine before I did a little research. I began to "bubble" from underneath the paint. From what I can understand... the vapors from the gas permeate through the plastic, causing this bubbling effect. I think it would be ok to paint the other things though. However, no paint will hold up as good as good ole new plastics. A good plastics paint (spray) is Krylon... can find it at any hardware store.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Thanks

I do not plan on painting the gas tank because it is already black. I just want to paint the shrouds, front and rear fenders, side panels and the number plate. I just want the bike to match the graphics that I got. I am going to put some monster energy graphics on it and I don't think it would look very good with red plastics and green and black graphics.

Anyone have any other suggestions or opinions on my question.

Also what do you think about just putting the graphics on the red plastics??

If you have done it let me know what you think of your bike. ( Does it look cool or a bit it look funny.)

Thanks

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Search button. MANY threads about painting plastic.

Top Bottom