nitris223

Dec 11, 2005
I have a 1987 KX250 and can not get the case halves to split apart. I have taken out everything possible on the clutch side and the stator side. There is no tabs to pry on like on a snowmobile , so how do you get them apart. :bang:

nitris223

Dec 11, 2005
Yeah it's a bottom end rebuild, big end bearing gone. These cases must be a very tight fit on the guide pins. I was tapping on the cases with a rubber mallet but there is not much that you can hit that will give you some bite on the hammer, mostly it just glances off.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
nitris223 said:
Yeah it's a bottom end rebuild, big end bearing gone. These cases must be a very tight fit on the guide pins. I was tapping on the cases with a rubber mallet but there is not much that you can hit that will give you some bite on the hammer, mostly it just glances off.

If you were referring to my post, try clicking on it, it's a link, not a smart a$$ comment.

skiboyracing

Jan 22, 2006
get a harmonic balancer puller from autozone 18-20 bucks. then get two 3.5" bolts that fit the stator threads. put the bolts and washers through the puller into them two holes, apply grease to the end of the main part of the puller where it meets the crank shaft and torque on it. It will likely seem like it's not pulling it appart then it will pop. at that point just lift the case off.

Britt Boyette

Aug 16, 2004
I usually leave the nut in place when using a case splitter. That way, you have less chance of damaging the threads on the end of the crank. Also, it seems to work easier if you warm up the case with a heat gun. When it comes time to replace the main bearings and seals, the heat gun is the tool that helps make removing and installing the seals and bearings easier by expanding the size of the case halves for you. Warm the halves up until they are too hot to touch and then use a driver to tap out your parts. Remember to use gloves. Reverse the process for instalation.

nitris223

Dec 11, 2005
Timberpig , didn't mean anything in my post, just saying what was wrong. I didn't realize what you wrote was a link to something else. I am new to this forum. Thanks everyone for all the info. I will give it a try tonight.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
nitris223 said:
Timberpig , didn't mean anything in my post, just saying what was wrong. I didn't realize what you wrote was a link to something else. I am new to this forum. Thanks everyone for all the info. I will give it a try tonight.

No harm done. That's the one thing I find annoying about this forum, is that when you insert a link, there is no way of telling it is a link or just text unless you put your mouse arrow on it and see it light up. Either that or you have to put it in as the URL, which wastes a ton of space.

Other forums I'm on underline the text for links, or make it a different colour plus underline it, so that it is easy to tell if it is a link or text.

nitris223

Dec 11, 2005
I am not having any fun trying to find any aftermarket parts for this bike. 1987 is a bad year for a KX250 especially for used parts. I just want this bike for a joy ride now and again and don't want $5000 tied up in a new bike that will be only ridden 3 or 4 times a year. I got the cases apart with the harmonic balancer, works slick. Thanks for the info guys.

Top Bottom