How warm should a shock reservoir get?

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
After stopping from a ride I went to inspect the bike and noticed that my shock reservoir was very, very warm almost hot. I then checked my friends 01CR250 and his was barely warm. Now my bike (1990 RMX 250) is definitely set up softer and so the movement of my rear end is greater but is that normal. I do understand that as oil passes through valves the friction creates heat but it seemed a little excessive. I wonder if it is a symptom of a problem with the shock? We were riding at a fast pace but not jumping, it was all sand with the occasional sandy whoops throughout.
Any thoughts on this please - thanks.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
We have had KTM shocks get hot enough to boil but our CR shocks seem to run alot cooler but its not unuasual for a shock to get too hot to touch.:)

John Curea

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 29, 2000
Marcus
Being that the shock shaft diameter is larger on the WP shock and that it is displacing more "hot" fluid through the compression adjuster and into the pressurized piston resevior might account for the WP running hotter than the Honda Showa shock.
Just a thought..........

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Also the WP shaft moves alot quicker than a KYB as it has no linkage to slow it near the end of the stroke and the body is steel which does not dissipate heat anywhere like as good as alloy.Put a KYB under a hot tap-you will not beleive how quick it radiates heat.:scream:

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
I have done several tests over the yrs. here in the FL. sand with several pro riders. We have tried different oils & additives to try and bring the temps down. I have never seen a shock get to 500 degrees but it is not uncommon to run 200-250. A shock will run hotter though if it has not been serviced correctly like, not all the air out & bladder twisted up.

doc

Top Bottom