89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
ya know come to think of it back in the good ole days when i tried drag racing. pop said at the end of the quarter keep your foot in the throttle kill the ignition throw it into neutral and coast back to the pits when we would check plugs. sorry guys it was a mustang with a holley. but i like the old camaros chevelles and chevy 2 novas also.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Wow, Jim....do I detect a bit of: "The guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and gives lame advise" ?

Yeah, I have opinion....but maybe you should go into detail on just what you are talking about on my former advise here in the almighty green room.

I was merely discussing and issue that I've never had too much trouble with before. When you pop off the kind of thing you did in your last post, I take great offence. I'd like some example from you now.
Just what previous posts makes you feel that I'm all wet. Perhaps we should not let things lay. I sure wouldn't want folks to get wrong information. Especially kids....I sure wouldn't want a kid to take some of my advise for gosphel and end up screwing things up.
I say put up something more than a sniping "Consider the source" crappola.
Call me out and correct me, but don't snipe, pal.
We can talk about things, but when you get into the discrediting thing you better have your stuff together.

Humai

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2000
Jaybird, for the good of mankind, get over yourself.

Originally posted by Jaybird
Wow, Jim....do I detect a bit of: "The guy doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, and gives lame advise" ?

As the saying goes, "If the cap fits, wear it". And it's "ADVICE" by the way.

After receiving good advice from guys who are obviously speaking from experience, you respond with "I aint buying it". What else did you expect?

Regarding this issue, ask yourself these questions:

1) How long would my bike stay in its operating rev zone (where it puts out useful power) at WFO in third gear on the flat?

2) How long does it take to lay an accurate deposit ring on the plug insulator at WFO?

3) Do I want to calibrate my main jet at max torque revs, max horspower revs or four grand into over-rev.

Perhaps you should respectfully go back to these guys for some help on these questions . . .

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Humus,
 I got over myself long ago. I stated that I was willing to learn. And learn I did...after only a few minutes of reading a search.

Many times folks offer up information here that they only know about from reading here on the boards, (or from following other members around like puppies and being "yes" men) as opposed to actual anecdotal info.
Often times the truth comes out about ones advise, and usually after an unwarranted snipe attack. I agree that sources SHOULD be considered.

·I have spent zillions of hours jetting for temp, altitude, humidity, & fuel brand
·Spend time on jetting; it always seems to be worth it (when considering the amount of "good time on bike vs. set up time
·For specific advice, give specific conditions ie. mods, temperature, altitude, jetting, gearing, riding ability, etc

·Assuming there are no air leaks & bike is in good condition, WOT plug chop is the ONLY way to evaluate main jet (IMO). My 94 is lean with anything smaller than a 162, and I run a 165 for a margin of safety (don't have time to rejet for elevation, air density, barometric pressure, etc).
 :think:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
When you agree with someone...and the argument (from webster'sII: to put forth reasons for or against) continues, what do you expect?

Interesting..the reply to 'humus'. Who's that? ;) There's a point in there somewheres?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The point is that questionable information isn't hard to find. Some folks posts are full of it, and they have absolutey NO business calling others on theirs. Especially without offering any specifics.

89kdx200rdr

~SPONSOR~
Apr 19, 2003
canyn, if its all right next time i check a plug i'll just pm it to ya. this thread has gotten long hasn't it. it will be awhile, had the resonator off and from the looks of things i'd better clean my kips.

RJ-KDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2002
This is from CDave's site Just KDX (I know you are all familiar with it). Just FYI for the rest of you.........

"Checking the Main Jet– Warm up the engine and go for a short ride letting the engine comes up to its normal operating temperature. Install a brand new plug that's been properly gapped. With the new plug installed aggressively accelerate through the gears until you reach 4th or 5th gear. For best results you should accelerate up a slight up hill section to place additional load on the engine. Continue to run the engine at WOT for 20 to 30 seconds longer if there is not fear the engine is running lean. If you suspect the engine is running lean 15 to 20 seconds to give you an indication. At the end of your full throttle run simultaneously push the kill button, chop the throttle and pull in the clutch. This procedure is often refereed to as a " plug chop". It is important to perform a plug chop exactly as described. If you allow the engine to run or leave the throttle open for even a few seconds after the plug chop the plug reading will be invalid. Now remove the spark plug and carefully look at its color." (Pasted from the Just KDX website)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
After looking at the color of the color of the plug and being happy with the asthetics(eyeroll)....then get your lighted magnifying glass out and look for the carbon ring at the bottom of the insulator. Which is what you should be looking for as an indication of properly sized main. Should be safe with a 1mm or so tall ring. Color of the plug is moot.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom