Hummm, help I'm lost with suspension

moodymike

Apr 10, 2002
Got a 99 kx250. I weigh approx 170. Had front and rear revalved, went to 5.2 in rear and 43 up front. I still bottom out in the rear. Went to a 5.4 in rear and 44 up front. No more bottoming, but with no preload I only get a sag of 80. So my question is, Is it possible they they just didnt valve it aggressive enough with the 5.2 and thats why I bottomed out on landings?
Also what signs can I look for riding next time to tell me if the rear (5.4) is too stiff a spring and I need to take it back? Any help is appricated :)

afm_722

Apr 24, 2000
I have a friend who has a 99 with a .43/5.2 combo with stock valving and it works great. I'm 205 with gear and run 5.4 and .44 with MX-Tech valving on my KX. With the 5.4 and your weight, you'll not have the spring compressed on the shock enough which in turn will effect how the bike turns, how it resists bottoming, and how it will soak up stutter bumps. The fact you can't get the correct sag measurement is a sign it's too heavy a spring.

A .42/5.2 combo, for your 170lbs, I think would be the ticket, but then you'll have to probably get your valving sorted out. That's ok, that's what those shops are there for. If they're good, they will modify it until you like it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
I'd say valving needs to be changed

The place I get my suspension done has no problem with revalving if it didn't feel right the first time. I like mine pretty plush in the braking bumps etc. but need it to soak it up on the hard landing and g-outs. I weight 200 lbs. or so.
The most important thing is to be able to communicate what you like/dislike about the setup so they can make the necessary adjustments.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…