kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Hmmm, I have an 06 KX250 and would agree that it needs a stiffer rear spring. I have .44's inthe front which seem to be good, but the 5.0 rear needs to be about a 5.4 or so as I weigh about 100kg's in riding gear.

Probelm is I have access to a 5.6 spring reaaaal cheap, but I'm worried that it will be too stiff. I ride a little MX and trail rides too, so I'm guessing I better keep shopping?! :bang:

Or should I?

Looking forward to your comments fellas.

John

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
OH yeah....

Forgot to mention, I recently rode a KTM EXC200 that had a much stiffer rear spring fitted and it feels waay down in the front as the rear rides high and forces the forks to overwork.... so THAT's what I'm worried about buying the 5.6. for my KX.... should I be worried?

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
Hi John.
The 5.6kg will be too heavy for you. And while Kawasaki state that the rear spring is a 4.9kg, Race Tech have measured them and found them to be more like 5.3kg. This should be about right for you, or if your spring measures at 4.9kg a 5.2kg should be good for the type of riding you are doing.
Have you tried increasing your low speed compression damping?

Greg

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Set your sag to 100 mm with the existing spring . Then check the ststic sag if it is between 10 - 20 mm the spring is in the right zone for you . Less than 10mm I would say it is too soft for you as too much preload on the spring makes the static sag # very small. Any more than 20mm it is on the stiff side for you .As there is very little preload on the spring .

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Right on fellas, thank you.... I have to admit the stock spring (whatever rate it actually is?!) feels gtreat but the bike rides very low, and looks chopper like when I'm riding. It also has chopper steering traits (over steer then understeer) too if I don;t have my weight a long way forward. I set the sag at 100mm a few weeks ago, but I also think it may need doing again as the bike seems to be sagging again?! Will check and re-post the results.

Thanks again.

Danger

Jan 15, 2004
It might be worth having your nitrogen pressure checked if the sag has increased. And checking your rebound damping position.

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Danger said:
It might be worth having your nitrogen pressure checked if the sag has increased. And checking your rebound damping position.

Grat idea.... I'm getting the shock rebuilt shortly anyway, but thanks for the info. Will do that ASAP. :cool:

Top Bottom