GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Anyone own a Husaberg? How do you like it? Please compare to other rides including parts accessibility and maintenance. Also any recommended websites other than the factory info site I would find from any search engine. Thanks!!!

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Make sure you get one with the modern motor design.
Husaberg has stopped making replacement parts for the old style non oil pump bikes.

KnotsoFast

Mar 31, 2002
I like mine a bunch when I can get it started. It's a shame to spend the amount we do for something that is so unpredictable in starting. Sometimes it will fire up with the E-button no sweat, then other times it refuses to fire for whatever reason. This has actually been the main complaint of many NEWER Berg owners and some have no problems at all. I have a 2001 FC470E and it flat rips and handles really well. I can putt around and trail ride or twist the grip and hang on anytime. It has amazing power and great balance but if you are not into maintainance then pass it by and get something more subtle and more dependable. I have many times thought of selling my Berg and getting a DRZ 400E just so I don't have to deal with the starting issues. But I know I will never get a DRZ to handle like the Berg without dumping serious dollars into it, so i figure I'll just buy a DRZ and keep the Berg for fun.

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
It has amazing power and great balance but if you are not into maintainance then pass it by and get something more subtle and more dependable
A buddy of mine has had his '00 FE400 since new and has done nothing but change the oil and adjust the valves. His bike still runs smoothly. You have to change the oil after every ride (every other ride?)and drain the ignition cover after every wash. If you can do that, and check the valves every 30 hours(30 minute job)you can handle the maintainence on these bikes. If you can't do that, the bike WILL let you down...They require no more mantainence than the KTM thumpers. I think they are easier to work on than the KTM thumpers too. :) Four-strokes are sometimes hard to start. I have seen guys kick XRs until they were blue in the face...you have to have the jetting right and the valve adjustment right or it will be hard to start. The Husabergs have an automatic decompression system. You don't have to find TDC or do any drill, just kick. Or push the button :confused: mine starts right up unless it has been on it's side for a while (Crash? Who, me?) Even then it only take a few seconds. The button always works. It is a racebike for sure, with a racebike mantainence schedule. XR/DR vs. Husaberg= Toyota vs. Ferarri. Does that make any sense? If you are willing to spend a few hours wrenching on it and dialing it in, you will be rewarded with a bike that will make it easy to go faster. If you want something you can put away wet get an XR...

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Maicomotorman - I have checked out that Husaberg website that you recommended and I am working my way through the "Should I?" forum section for prospective owners. Great site, glad you recommended it. From what you guys have noted (above) it appears this bike is more of a race than a trails bike.

KnotsoFast

Mar 31, 2002
Husaberg's are about as race ready as you are going to find. They come with all the good stuff and the 2002 models have the 2 stage adjustable rear shock which makes them a better trail bike than the '01's and earlier models. This is my first Berg and I really do like it a bunch. The maintainance is not terribly difficult to do. It was more time consuming on my LC640 due to bleeding the oil in the frame and expensive oil filters and so on. I keep mine on a trickel charger now and it starts much easier when it's cold. It always starts very good when it's warmed up a bit even after I dump it, it fires right up with a simple push of the button. I know I need to tinker with the jetting some to dial it in but it's running great for now. It has almost no vibration at any rpm or speed. The FX470E or FX501E would be what I would look at if I were to buy another one but it depends on what YOU are looking for.

Top Bottom