Ferret

Mar 29, 2006
Hiya , i have been told that the WR360 is prone to the engine casings cracking due to the compression in the crank case. Has anyone heard of this problem ?

Ferret

Mar 29, 2006
Spoke to the guy in the shop when i picked my bike up today, he said it's when you kick it over, there is so much compression that you have to put so much force on the kickstart that it breaks the engine casing behind the clutch where the shaft comes through. He showed me one he had just replaced.He said it was quite common. Thats why i asked if anyone had heard of it.

mhambone

Mar 5, 2004
It cracks where the idler shaft ( shaft between clutch basket and kickstart shaft) goes into the center cases. My sons broke and we had to get new cases. Isn't that decompression head is very expensive? Like $400.00 plus shipping?

Mike

Vince Stokes

May 30, 2002
O yes very expensive,$440 Australian Dollars which =$321 US
Dollars plus postage,then the bike is very easy to start on the side of a hill,how much did the cases cost.Seems like a no brainer to me.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
Well, so far so good on mine. I have never heard of this before, so you guys are bringing this to my attention.

I do not have the comp release, but I could use it. big time. I have a high compression head. The bike is really hard to kick over.

Chris

BMEPdoc

Sep 13, 2006
Very interesting indeed!..I've had my '02 wr360 for about 2 months now, and the decompression head was first on my list of MUST DO's . I can tell you, it's the best money I've spent so far!..Amazing actually, as you could probably start the beast with your hand if you really tried :yikes:

Do yourself a favor..Buy it!

BMEPdoc

Sep 13, 2006
ADDICTED2TONE said:
I used to race with a guy who had one.. It was a mid 90's model..

He had no problems with it.. It was a nice bike other than the huge gap in between gears..

I guess there must have been a major revision at Cagiva for the later models as all 6 are rather close and about as evenly spaced as can be.

regards

ADDICTED2TONE

Sep 12, 2006
I meant the throw inbetween gears.. It was further throw than my cr 500 at the time..

Gearing was fine on the bike.. It ran out great.. The one I rode felt like you were shifting a 13 speed in a peterbilt... Really the power was so torquey all you needed was 2nd and 3rd in the eastern woods.

I guess i should have worded my response a little better lol!

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Just picked up a 93 WXE 360 last week to add the husky stable (85 Husky WR 400, 01 Husky WR 250) which needs some TLC -- rear suspension and cosmetic makeover, but the motor is strong otherwise...I look forward to getting in on the trail...I'm hoping it's as good as my 01 Husky WR 250. I'm hooked on Huskies...Not saying they're better than KTM's, but the equal to the task -- just in a different way...

onebrow

Sep 18, 2006
There are a few "tricks" to starting the WR360 to prevent damaging the cases. I don't have a compression release and I have not de-compressed the engine by altering the base gasket. I have started my Husky in flip-flops just to prove the point.
The problem is that the bike is a beast and the kickstarter is so far forward on the engine. You need to kick the lever backwards not down. It helps to get forward on the bike as far as your comfortable. One should also find the "sweet spot" before attempting starting. This is accomplished by moving the kickstarter to the point of greatest resistance. This is top center position. Return the kickstarter to the highest point and push it back and down positively and firmly. When I follow this procedure (it's the same drill used for firing big four strokes, back when they had to be kicked), my bike will start first kick every time. Jumping on the kickstarter with all your weight won't help start the bike and it's hard on parts.

Top Bottom