I finally did it!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Replaced my fork seals tonite, after taking 'em to a local shop and he could not get 'em apart after my failed attempt at making the darn fork dampener tool I ordered one from FRP, along with some other goodies...
I know, I know I probably could have got it undone with an air impact wrench, but at $25 the tool is cheaper than an air gun(unless you shop at Harbor Freight)

After taking the dampener apart the tubes came apart sooo easy. :thumb:

To drive the new seals on I found a piece of thin walled 1 1/2 pvc out in the yard. It fit perfectly around the fork tube, it worked really good, I was very surprised how easy the whole job went. :yeehaw:

Now if only my new clutch cable and my $6 brake lever pivot-bolt would arrive :think:

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Ok Wibby, how did you manage to seperate the fork without damaging the teflon coated bushes/slides?
I am interested in that last bit of seperation after you used up all the special tools.....

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
They were showing a little wear, but they did not seem to be damaged from being taken apart, but I'm gonna order some new ones.

I compressed the tubes and then vigorously slid them outward and on the second time they popped free

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Congratulations! Well..considering that the first time you RIDE the thing all the oil doesn't gush out from somewheres..........

Nah! ;)

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I just hope the wood's don't get shut down before I get to ride it ;)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I'm betting we have one more weekend (6-7/8) before they're shut down.

They already are east of the cascades.

Then it's a wait for prospect to open on the first weekend in july.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
:whiner: I just got an email... My clutch cable won't be here until the 11th

:think: Someone in this valley must have one...

Oh, here's my lowbuck seal driver

Attachments

• $$sealdriver$$.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 139

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If the housing is ok, can't you get one made? A bicycle shop should have the wire and possibly the ends you would need.

Seems I've even seen the fixin's at hardware stores.

Hey! You gotta change your sig!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Thanks CC, the bicycle brake cable works perty good as a band-aid clutch cable. (Total cost: $4) They sold me a stop that fastens on to the cable with a allen head set screw and it is just large enuf not to slide out of the clutch mechanism. But as soon as my new cable gets here this ones going into my tool bag.

I just rode my bike down the alley, the forks feel awesome! ( I added FRP .40's)
Weird how the front end feels so light now..... now that it is not sagging so much.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…