i got a 95 cr 125 with loss of low end power?

the-pope

Mar 13, 2002
i own a 95 cr 125 that does not have a lot of low end power?(good top end power) I've done the top end,but no inprovement.Also changed all exhuast gaskets and pipe packings.just wondering if stator or timming is off or maybe someone who has had this problem!:(

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
Has it lost low end since you bought it or does it just not have any? If you've ever riddin another 125 before you should know that none of them have any useable lowend grunt, but if it has lost power since you bought it you probly have a powervalve related problem. If youre bike has no mecanical problems then you can always drop a tooth on the front sprocket or gain a couple on the back spocket to gain a little grunt.

Good luck,

Danny Jernigan

Last edited:

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I'd go with Durt Cycler's guess. I think Your power valve is stuck open. Open the small cover on the left side of the cylinder and see if it wants to move or if it is jammed open. (Click Diagram) You need to look at the valve part #10 under the cover part #3.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
If the powervavles seem to not be fully closed (clips against the guides) and when you try and push the powervavle all the way in it seems to spring back from the PV mechanism then all you have to do is remove the powervavle out of the power guide and unbolt the locking thing on the top of the mechanism (thing with the allen key screw) and take it off. Then just push the rod (thing that moves the vavles in and out) all the way into the guide so it won't go no further then reinstall the locking thing with the allen key screw and make sure the rod stays all the way in. One you've tighen the "THINGY" in place re-install the powervavle in the guide and see if it goes in all the way. Good luck!

Last edited:

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
i have riden the popes bike, and have to say i'll take a cr 80 over it because its way faster than his 125. the bike has decent top end , but my 96 rm 125 would kill it.

the pope didnt mention that his bike spooges like the exxon valdeeze, and that he goes through more plugs than team honda does in a full season.

after checking the spark , it seems very week. not bright blue ,but more yellow.

i have many friends that have had thier stators rewound, seems like a honda thing.

anyone else ever have stator problems with cr 125's ?

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
sounds like the bike needs some maintenance.
-Clean all the ground connections where the coil mounts to the frame and recheck the spark.
-Jet the bike properly for goodness sake, a 125 that loads up off the bottom won't run to it's full potential.
-Start with a clean air filter and fresh pre-mix, install a fresh plug and see if this improves power.

By all means check the reeds too, is the bike hard to start?

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by ZOOK250
i have many friends that have had thier stators rewound, seems like a honda thing. anyone else ever have stator problems with cr 125's ?
Nope, definitely not a Honda thing. It is most likely that popes' bike has a worn out top end, reeds and dented pipe. All my cr's became weaker than a 60 when they needed serious maintenance. An air filter full packed with dirt will give you pretty much the same fits also...

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
in defence of the pope, he has rejetted that bike with so many combinations with no luck. he has done the top end, all associated gaskets. i think it has somthing to do with the ignition. he says that the power valves are o.k.
but who knows, most elevator techs ride 250's anyways.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
My CR used to foul plugs like crazy before and I used to have spooge at the :moon: coming from my silencer but for some odd reason the bike still ran like a damn champ. This was do to worn topend. Sounds like the bike could use some major TLC!
Clean all the connectors and grounds to make sure they are all good before buying new ignition parts. Test a new plug gapped at .024''. If you still have a yellow spark then it would be best to have a shop diagnose or a really smart mechanic so you don't spend big money on a part you don't need (ignition is tricky to understand)!
Do a compression test and see how it is (120psi minimun to start). Do the test with the throttle wide open and kick the beast as hard as you can. If you get a reading around 140-160lbs thats OK but you should keep the topend fresh to prevent blow-by and severe engine damage. If you get a low reading around 120-150 put a tablespoon of 2-stroke oil in the sparkplug hole and do the test again. If the compression rises around 20lbs then that means there is a sealing problem (severly worn ring), replace the topend (including rod bearing). Check the reeds also for any chipping, fraying, or discoloration. If you find them to not sealing properly then I would recommend Boyesen Pro Series reeds, they really improved throttle response on my CR!!!! Let us know what you do so we can further help you...DC:aj:

Top Bottom