Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
OK... not the ones you were thinking of. :nener:

The ball that I'm talking about is one of the four that go in the powervalve governor on my 02 YZ250.

To make a long story short, one of the screws came out of my powervalve in the topend, causing the valve actuating rod to be stuck about half open. It was ridden this way for about 20 minutes until I could get back home. I fixed the problem in the topend, but once I fired up the bike the actuating arm wouldn't move when the bike was revved (although it was free).

I pulled the case side cover off, and one of the four balls in the governor is missing. I'm pretty sure that it was ground up because I couldn't find it anywhere. The assembly looks like everything is still there... how did the ball get out? Maybe with the actuator open but the balls not pushing out they can escape???

I'm going to replace all four of them but I wan't to make sure that I'm not going to have any more problems.

Thanks! :)

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I would double and even triple check to ensure the ball hasn't lodged behind something. Unless, of course, there was alot of metal debris in the oil. I don't think it could, but is there any way it could find it's way into the tranny, and be sitting on the bottom of the case where you can't see it?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
From the looks of it I think that it is gone. There were some very fine metal debris in the oil, but there always is from the clutch. I think that I will take the shifter assembly apart to make 100% sure that it isn't lodged in there where I can't see it. I don't think that there is any way for it to find it's way over to the transmission side from the right side?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I haven't had my clutch apart in awhile and couldn't remember if there was an oil return passage from the tranny back to the clutch cover. Better safe than sorry, you know.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I would have loved to post something like this.

"You are very lucky, my son....sincereely John Bobbit."

Could it have ended up in the transmission????

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If it's in the transmission, then it's as good as gone to me.

I'll take a look at it sometime this week... from my quick glance when I took it apart it didn't seem like there was a big enough passage in there for it to pass from the RH to the LH side.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
The lost ball seams odd. The mechanism does not appear to be made in such a way to let it fall out.

I wonder if they had too much Saki the day your bike was built???? Maybe Cort took it and recycled it ????

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
OK.... UPDATE.

I now feel like an idiot. :)

This week I found the other ball accross the garage... I'm not sure how but somehow the dowel pin came out of the shaft and let the balls come out when I took the side cover off.

I put it back together and it is working great... the bike feels better than it has for a long time. I'm thinking now that maybe the P/V hasn't been opening fully for a while.

Thanks for all of the replies!!!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Cool! At least you know for sure it didn't get "lost" inside the clutch cover somewhere.

Top Bottom