I need some advice on what plugs to get and such

confusedyouth

Jun 28, 2004
Hi I just got a 2001 YZ80 I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. I’ve been trying to decide what plug to run I ride in my yard a lot so the bike doesn’t get held in the power band long however I do also ride at my friends farm and at on the railroad tracks but not as often so I’m trying to weight all of this when selecting a plug, I’m not sure how hot to go. Right now it has a 9 in it and the stock plug is a 10. Also I need to change my gear oil, the local Yamaha dealer sold me some 80w maxima gearbox oil but the service manual I just got for the bike recommends 10w-30 or 10w-40 what should I use? And my last question is about air filters, I’m more concerned with protecting the motor then I am with getting every possible ounce of possible power out of it and once again I’m am unsure of which brand of filter to buy for my application. Thanks in Advance for any responses.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
80w gear oil is about the same as 10w40 your fine
use the 9 until you get good enough to hold er wide for extende amts of time
any air filter you buy from the shop will not only brag on their "extra performance" also "superior protection" so go with a popular name youll be fine
search function the forums youll find a TON of this info

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
The brand of filter doesn't really matter much, even the stock one is just fine. The importaint thing is to make sure you keep it clean and welll oiled with real filter oil (regular motor oil is not sticky enoug to keep dust our of your engine).

Gear oil is a topic of much debate, you can use 10w-40, 80wt or Automatic transmission fluid and your transmission will be just fine. Again, its more importaint to change it regularly than to have the absolute best oil.

I would go with the 9, or even a 8 (if you riding is mostly slow going) plug (I like the BR9EG or BR9EIX much better than the ES models as they have a finer electrode which doesn't foul as easily. However, if you are having trouble with it fouling or the bike is loading up and smoking a lot you should lean out the carb jetting a bit. The air screw on the side of the carb can make small adjustments in the 0-1/4 throttle range, the pilot works from about 0-1/2 throttle, the needle (adjustable by moving the clip up and down. Clip up = needel down = leaner) works from 1/4-3/4 and the main jet from 1/2- fully open. All of the above are easy the change and very cheep (~$2-$3).

good luck:)

Top Bottom