I need some machinist help with modifying a magnesium clutch cover.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I need to extend my clutch cover outwards by 3/8 inch. It'll require some milling and some welding of magnesium. Anyone have any ideas on where I should go??

...I'm going to attempt to fit the '92 with an EFM autoclutch. It ought to help tame the beast.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Transam,

If you provide a cad drawing I can laser cut you a spacer. Steel, Stainless or Aluminum - no mag. After re reading your post, note that I can't cut 3/8 alum. (you could use 2 pcs of 3/16) - steel is no issue

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
Aa an aside magnesium cases are fun to throw into a nice Fall bonfire, spray with a hose and it's instant fireworks. :yeehaw:

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
09oneL said:
Transam,

If you provide a cad drawing I can laser cut you a spacer. Steel, Stainless or Aluminum - no mag. After re reading your post, note that I can't cut 3/8 alum. (you could use 2 pcs of 3/16) - steel is no issue
I wish I could do a spacer, but because the kick starter goes through the clutch cover, it cannot be spaced out. What I need to do is cut the clutch cover top off, space it out 3/8 inch, weld in some threaded mounting bosses, then reattach the modified clutch cover top.

http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2009\04\17\bikepics-1637127-full.jpg

..unless someone can figure out a simpler way!

I just ordered a new Barnett clutch kit tonight since my stock clutch just gave up this weekend. Anything over 1/2 throttle and it slips. Of course, more than 1/2 throttle at anything lower than fourth gear results in a wheelie, so it hasn't really been an issue until now.

Oh and Ward, I'll try and remember to save the shavings in a baggie for the next Trailfest bonfire~

ulmanb

Jun 12, 2003
Isnt EFM the company that takes your clutch parts and modifies them for thier auto clutch? If so, sounds like they would have the ability to customize the clutch setup to fit in your clutch cover. May be worth contacting them and describing your situation.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Somebody needed to say it. Fix the stock clutch. Then buy an older KTM 200 what's wrong with having a couple bikes. That 500 has to be a handful on mi tight trails. Please don't get me wrong I really like you 500, I rode with you at Trailfest. You’ll just have a lot more support parts for the bike.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
Point taken. A smaller bike is DEF. in the plans, but it'll have to wait another year. I want to get a machine or two for my kids so that they can join me in the fun. There's a certain KDX200 I've got my eye on (it was at TF '09 with a for sale sign on it) if somehow heaven opens and I end up with a huge invoice in my accounts receivables.

In the mean time , AFAIK, no one's ever done an autoclutch for a YZ490/WR500 before, and it just seems too tempting to pass it up. I've already ordered a Barnett clutch kit, it's on the way, & I'm pulling the clutch out this week. The bike is a long-term machine, so I'm not worried about resale, and who knows? It might even end up in a feature article for an Australian Vinduro magazine, or something. They seem to like the IT490s and WR 500's down under.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
IndyMX said:
Does Rekluse have a clutch that will fit your bike? I don't think they need modifications to the cover.

No. Rekluse specializes in new bikes with large ownership base. EFM does custom clutches for any machine.

ws6transam

Nov 17, 2005
I just did the measurements. There's .230" clearance, and I need .375". Therefore I need only .150" of material. It should be a simple job of chop, TIG, mill flat, then re-weld.

Barnett clutch is on the way, and I got a padded case for the whole assembly already waiting. Garry from EFM's waiting for it.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
ws6transam said:
machine or two for my kids There's a certain KDX200 I've got my eye on (it was at TF '09 with a for sale sign on it)

Kids can what :p KDX's are great and there's a ton of stuff that you can do to them. I don't remember the bike you’re talking about at Trailfest. Dollar for dollar the Ktm 200 is a better deal right out of the box it's ready and there not that much more $$$. :cool:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
my son Nathan is selling his 2002 KDX 220 for like $1500. It will be in good shape with even some extra spare parts like brake shoes. etc. He has an inspection sheet signed for it so that he can apply for a MDMV Motorcycle title and get a Lisence plate for it too.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
That is a great deal on a bike that is excellent for trail riding.

It has been fun watching Nathan make the transition from XR to KDX to ???????

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I think he wants a 200 XCW.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom