KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
I have been using my KDX to practice mx and last weeekend it sounded like my throttle stuck open. I hit the kill switch and the bike ran on for a few 2nds before stopping. I have pulled the throttle apart and had a mechanic do it too but we cant find a reason for it and it isnt doing it all the time. Any ideas what it could be? Both times it did it I was in the top of 3rd gear.

It was also the first ride that I did with the fuel/oil ratio at 40:1, I usually run it at 36:1, could it be running too lean?

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
have you removed, cleaned, and lubed the throttle cable? The throttle itself?
is the throttle snapping back quickly even when it "feels" like it's stuck? You mix ratio should have nothing to do with your problem. The only time my kill switch doesn't work right away is when I'm running it out of gas. was your fuel turned on?
Does it rev like a banshee before it cuts off? That's a sign of a fuel delivery problem.
Give us some more info.

Gordo

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
Yep the whole throttle has been checked, it still snaps back ok!

I was in the top of 3rd when it first did it and the bike just started screaming, I dont think I picked up a lot of speed but I wasnt thinking about the speed just trying to stop the bike. It then did it a second time about 4 laps later when I was going over a jump, same thing bike was screaming, hit the kill switch ran a few seconds before stopping. I am not 100% convinced it is the throttle but people who heard it said thats what it looked and sounded like.
It just ran so loud and quickly, but then would start straight away and idle and ride normally

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
also, the fuel was turned on and it didnt happen all the time.

I had a fuel delivery problem the week before which turned out to be just water in the carby. I had ridden 60km trail after draining the carby and it was fine, took it the following weekend to the mx track and rode 5 fast laps before problems started

sdm

May 14, 2003
If you had water in the carb/ tank some of it probably got in to the carb
jets creating a lean condition at certain times. That might explain the
inconsistant occurrances you describe. I think I would remove the fuel tank
and drain and flush and also do the same to the carburetor blowing the
carb jets and passages out with compressed air. Refill the tank with fresh mix
and try it out.
If that doesn't help I think I would start looking for an air leak somewhere.

Hope this helps..
Sam

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If your bike continues to run with the kill switch depressed, there are only a couple of things as possibilities.

1. The switch didn't work.
2. Your bike is in 'autoignition' mode.

The first one may happen if you hit it in a big hurry. Ha! Throttle stuck? Goin' too fast? What's the hurry? ;) Possibly you just think you hit it.

In the second case, it's either fuel starvation or (kind'a the same thing) too lean.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom