I still have no spark guys! I need help.

joelyles2004

Mar 5, 2004
Look at my post fourth from this one. I'm not getting any spark. All I did was rebuild the bikes top end & now I dont have anyt spark. I didnt even remove or disconnect anything electrical. I did leave off the ignition cover for a month or two (while sitting). I took it to the dealer & they told me I need a new stator ($308.48) & spark plug cap. It's hard to believe my stator went bad just sitting. It must be something simple. If any of you have any ideas drop me a line. I've already checked the plug & wire. No spark.

Joe Lyles

overbore

Dec 24, 2001
Normally if you do a top end then your in the area of all the wire
connections.I would check that all are clean and connected and
make sure the ground wire on the coil isnt rusted.And make sure
that the kill switch isnt hit or got broke some how.
overbore.

tshs1997

Apr 18, 2004
joe,

i have a 1990 rmx 250.

the bike ran great, one day after riding, i loaded it on the trailer, drove home (about 5 miles) unloaded it, tried to start it and it wouldnt run. i gave up after a half hour of trying.

i couldnt believe that it just wouldnt run, so i cheaked the spark. it had none. my first thought was the cdi box. so i went to the shop to see if they could test it. the first guy said you couldnt test them but he would be glad to order me one for $325.99. i said no thanks and left. i went to a different shop and found a guy who brought out a repair manual and in it was a proceedure for testing all electrical components, he photocopied the pages for me and sent me on my way.

after an hour of test with my multimeter. i narrowed it down to being the ignition coil ($53.99)(i also have a lighting coil). i also replaced the the pulser ($26.99) because it looked worn out. after reassembling the bike i tried starting it, i had huge amounts of spark but it wouldnt start, just backfire. i went back to the shop and asked what could i have done wrong. it turn out that i hadnt tightened the flywheel nut tight enough and i sheered the woodruff key ($1.99).

this was in october of 2002 and the bike is still running strong and it cost less than a hundred dollar to fix it. i did order the owners service manual form suzuki and it is full of great information.

i hope some of this may help you. good luck.

Todd

B

biglou

Joe-Short of "shotgunning" (changing) parts randomly, which will be quite expensive as you've found out, you need a plan. Troubleshooting electrical, it is best to start at one end, usually the end that isn't working (spark plug), and work your way upstream until you find where it is working. Your problem will be there. You are going to have to have a manual with a schematic, and a good working knowledge of how things flow to the spark plug. Truth is, without seeing the bike in person, it's difficult at best for anyone here to things other than offer suggestions about what it could be. It could be any one of a hundred things causing a lack of spark. Like I said, short of just jumping around all over the ignition system looking for problems until you find it, you need to work methodically starting at the plug until you find the point where the signal is dropping.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Try unplugging your kill switch.

Top Bottom