showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Back in April, I came across a bargain on an 02 RM 250. The bike looked in excellent condition, so I bought it.
Today, while searching for parts, I came across something interesting. The 10th. digit of this vin is a "1". According to a Suzuki website, this indicates an 01 model. The bike has the newer frame design, where the wishbone spars angle up towards the front, but I was unsure as to when this change took place. Can anyone confirm the 10th digit thing? thanks.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The on line parts microfiche at Yamaha of Troy shows an 02 with rubber mounted bar clamps. Mine are solid cast.
I just need to be 100% sure before I have a serious conversation with the person that sold me this bike. :think:

Last edited:

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
you are correct about the 10th digit... if its a 1 your bike is an 01

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
JS1RJ18C812102994

I should have known better than to have bought a bike without a title. Hopefully, the guy I bought it from did not know either. He was the second owner. :bang:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
An '02 with no title? :think: Smells fishy to me.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Would you have not bought the bike if you knew it was a 01 not an 02? If you would have any ways then I see no reason to get upset or frustrated.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
The only reason that I bought it was because of the price I thought I was paying for an 02. I only bought it to resell it. I would not have purchased an 01.
The reason given for no title was plausible, so I didn't pursue it. I have bought three previous used bikes with no title, with no problems, so it was a non issue for me, was being the operative word.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Ahh. . . I see your predicament.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I honestly don't think he knew. He was a first time purchaser who found out a 250 2 stroke could put him on his head, and it did. He got scared of it and unloaded it. This one might get interesting. My intent was not to burden anyone with my issue, I just wanted confirmation that the VIN procedure I used was correct. Thanks....:)

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Did you run a V.I.N. search through the local PD?

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
New offroad bikes in my state are sold without a title. Dirt bikes aren't registered here, so they don't need a title.

I almost fell for that same trick, showtime.

Local guy had an '02 YZ426 that I almost bought. I did some research and found it was a 2001. When I asked the guy about it, he claimed that he thought it was a 2002. A few seconds later, his wife walked in the room and reminded him that he knew it was a 2001. :think:

He was a little embarrassed at being caught. I didn't buy the bike.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Bikes are sold all over without titles, but they all have M.S.O.'s. Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin. It has the same info as a title, it's just not attached to any particular state. He should have given you that at least. I didn't mean to infer that not having a title ment it was stolen or something, it just raises a caution flag in my book.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i've never sold one of my bikes with a title or mso. i've never been asked for one.

we don't have to title them in oklahoma either.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
So what keeps people from selling stolen bikes in those states?

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
The dealers usually keep the MSOs unless you ask for it specifically.

There aren't titles on $7000 plasma screen tvs, riding mowers, farm equipment, and all kinds of other stuff. You always have the option of contacting the PD to see if a bike is stolen. They ought to put up a website with the serial/vin numbers of stolen items so people can check it themselves and help the PDs find stuff in the process.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Not a bad idea James.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
YZ165 said:
Did you run a V.I.N. search through the local PD?

No, even though he lives in a neighboring state, he rode some of the same tracks that I rode, so I didn't think it was necessary. He is still around.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Showtime586, Please e-mail me at mryance[at]hotmail.com. I have some info about your "01" RM

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
No problem.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I have never purchased a bike without a Certificate of Origin. I know a lot of people don't care whether a bike has one or not but I do. I feel if you are the legitamite owner you will have it or the dealer will have it in which case you should get it.

I know that when I do get it, I have proof the bike is mine, no ifs, ands or buts about it. I really can't tell if a bike I am looking to buy has been stolen ot not because since most bikes serial numbers aren't registered anywhere (because they have no titles) there simply is no way to tell. Many people don't report the theft and VIN # to the police.

If for instance you bought a bike without a MSO from someone who was not the original owner and it gets stolen, you first have to hope you wrote down the VIN number. Then if the bike is found, you have to prove it is yours. How are you going to do that? If you have a bill of sale then you are going in the right direction I think, but anyone could write one up. If on the other hand you have a bill of sale and the MSO, then I think you have a much better case of proving the bike is yours.

I have never had a bike stolen from me but I just all in all feel better getting one with some real paperwork.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I have never gotten paperwork on any used bike, but until this time, I have never purchased from somene I did not know. I do have a typed up bill of sale so I can pursue the matter through civil court means. I doubt I make this mistake again....:)

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
showtime586 said:
The only reason that I bought it was because of the price I thought I was paying for an 02. I only bought it to resell it. I would not have purchased an 01.
QUOTE]

There seems to be some mystic force governing anything that is done to make a profit. Some "dues paying" or something like that.

There was a time that I pondered getting into the buying and selling of tractors. Good $$ to be made, but in the end I decided that by the time I learned the ropes; I would be in the poor-house!

One of my more coherent decisions. Usually I will just bail off into a really deep hole.

As you said, you are not likely to make that mistake again, perhaps it is God's way of giving you a really good education.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Jon K. said:
showtime586 said:
QUOTE]

There seems to be some mystic force governing anything that is done to make a profit. Some "dues paying" or something like that.

There was a time that I pondered getting into the buying and selling of tractors. Good $$ to be made, but in the end I decided that by the time I learned the ropes; I would be in the poor-house!

One of my more coherent decisions. Usually I will just bail off into a really deep hole.

As you said, you are not likely to make that mistake again, perhaps it is God's way of giving you a really good education.

Dunno about devine intervention, but I don't really see any issue in the "free enterprise" system. It was not as though I was taking advantage of anyone's situation. He offered it at what I thought was an extremely attractive price and I bought it. Having ridden a 4 stroke for the lasy few years, I knew that I probably would not keep the bike. I am kinda surprised I kept it around this long..........:)

sorny

May 26, 2004
I was reading this and my 99 YZ 250 didn't have a title, MSO, nothing. I was going to have him fix out a bill of sale, but forgot and haven't needed it, so oh well. I'm 99% sure mine *IS* a 99 like he said because all the parts I've bought that are 99 specific have fit and either way, if it was a 98, I just paid $1200 for it (it needed a head pipe and shifter and little stuff) so I don't care. But I was wondering where the VIN's are on bikes? LOL, with this being my first bike I haven't found it yet and don't know where to look... maybe I should wash it and then I'd find it :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom