1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Well I finally got the bike together after the rebuild and went to kick it over.... no spark! I think when I was tightening the nut on the flywheel weight, i stuck a screwdriver in one of the flywheel holes to hold the stator and tighten the nut. After removing again for inspection, I noticed one of the wound coils has like 5 broken lil copper wires on it, but most are still wound and intact. Would this cause the no spark condition, I was thinking as long as the metal is making contact shouldnt it still work? :bang:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
1998RM250 said:
Well I finally got the bike together after the rebuild and went to kick it over.... no spark! I think when I was tightening the nut on the flywheel weight, i stuck a screwdriver in one of the flywheel holes to hold the stator and tighten the nut. After removing again for inspection, I noticed one of the wound coils has like 5 broken lil copper wires on it, but most are still wound and intact. Would this cause the no spark condition, I was thinking as long as the metal is making contact shouldnt it still work? :bang:

nope, you definitely did a bad thing..

Next time try using the proper tool for the job.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
so those couple broken thin copper wires are why its not producing spark? hmm u think a couple strands wouldnt matter seeing theres hundreds, i dont know. I have a flywheel puller, not just wanted to snug up the nut a lil more and ruined my stator I think.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
I'm going to call a local shop that rebuild electric motors, maybe they can rewind that one core? I have been wanting a lighting stator for awhile now, but didnt expect i'd mess this one up!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
that might be possible.. But it's probably going to be pretty expensive..

You're better off just getting the high output stator. And from now on, use the proper tools.. After consulting the service manual..

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Do a google search, there are a couple of companies out there that specialize in stator rebuilding. You can even find tutorials on how to do it yourself, although that isn't your best option, an I do not recommend it.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You really need to hold/jam the crank to torque the flywheel. Proper torque is important here. There's a few companies that make a gear wedge you stuck in the clutch basket drive gear to hold the crank still while you torque.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
That sucks. Sorry, I don't have an extra stator for a Honda ;)

You can put the end of a poly rope in the spark plug hole to keep the crank from turning. Just make sure the rope doesn't have fibers that can break off and get lost in the cylinder. The Gear Jammer that Joe linked to won't help for tightening the flywheel nut since there aren't any gears to jam on that side of the motor. It does look like a handy tool though.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I got myself a little 1hp compressor and an impact wrench or driver. I would not know what to do without it. The more you do yourself the better it is to have those tools.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
yep it is one wire wrapped around a zillion times. if you are on the cheap and very meticulous you can try to remove the coil from the plate. count the wraps while unwrapping and rewrap it using the same size "magnet wire". use a paint brush with elmers glue and lightly cover each layer of wrapping and then some epoxy at the end to help fight of vibration damage at a later date. not highly recommended since usually you can either buy a replacement coil or send it out cheaper than the aspirin and beer it takes to do the job.

some people put a penny in between the primary gears I once actually rolled the penny between the gears and I wonder how much stress was on the shaft and bearings. some people put the bike in gear and have a buddy set on it holding the brakes I find that cumbersome since there is a lot of stretching and compressing of things you get quite a bit of spring back on the wrench. The rope idea works very well. My favorite if you have no external coils and a bit of room is to use a oil filter wrench or a strap wrench around the flywheel, so when you push away with the strap wrench with one hand and pull towards you with the torque wrench with the other you get a very nice even motion to get a nice torque value when tightening.

and of coarse the factory recommended tool . it is amazing how most jobs are quite easy when you have the proper tools

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Thanks everyone, I might be looking at purchasing a lighting coil for the CR, I've seen a few on that popular auction site for around $150. I wonder how hard it would be to title it here in Florida if I get that and the baja designs lighting kit? All I need is to ride it to and from the trails a few miles legally.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
An electric impact wrench (ac) is nice for the flywheel nut/clutch nut, and the driver's torque is about perfect. I'll even use it when removing a car/truck/trailer wheels... not enough torque to loosen an automotive lug-nut, but good for spinning them off. A very useful investment.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Okay well I did some research into the 02-04 stators, and found a thread saying a guy tapped into the green and some other wire to run a 35w headlight on a stock stator. I guess the reason being the stock stator is h.o. because it also has to power the pv servo? I can pick up a clean used stator for around $60 or drop $150 on an electrosport 50w lighting stator ( I want to run a headlight of some sort). Contacted Ricky Stator and they can rewind it for $120, but "not for lighting."

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Perhaps Electrosport has improved the quality of it's stators, but I had bad experience with two of them (about 13 years ago.)
They didn't add enough windings to power the headlight, while it did make a headlight work, they robbed too much from windings for the ignition, causing me to lose spark within a year... they warrantied the first one, but when their second one quit I was done.

Top Bottom