john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Here's the scenario...got tired of paying almost 6 bucks for Golden Spectro 2t oil (12 oz)...Heard some good things about Mobil 2t (1 pint)--but what was even more hip was that it was cheap!!...Went to Autozone, looked around--no Mobil 2t. Then out of the corner of my good eye, I saw Valvoline 2t motorcycle oil (16oz)...it's only $2.99. I picked up a bottle. Came home, did an online search--DRN and google. Found some info...but no testimonials about the product. Now since it's Sunday night and because I haven't gone to church in about 3 months...Can somebody, anybody, give me a witness about Valvoline 2t motorcycle oil? Otherwise, I'll be banished to the Golden Spectro underworld and Lord knows I don't want to go there--it's just too expensive!!. Someone asked this question back in 2002, but there was no response. Anybody got a good word to share about this stuff? Thanks in advance for your answers...Amen, I'm finally done writing..Cheers~John

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Oh, BTW, I haven't tried it yet...I still half a bottle of GS to burn...

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Well, I don't know about the Valvoline stuff, but I swear by the Mobil goodies. I also can't stand Golden Spectro, but not for the reason that you stated. I found that it carbons/gunks up the cylinder and exhaust valves somthing fierce.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Buffmaster, I just got back into the scene this winter after a 21 year layoff and GS was the last thing I was using--and back then (air cooled engines) there really was that much to gunk up and if it did so what because things were a helluva lot simpler to tear down...man, things sure have changed...I'm little old school about things, but if I could find Mobil 2t oil around here, I'd make the switch immediately. I like GS because it's the best of both worlds, but 5-6 bucks for 12 oz, uh, I think I can do better than that...Money is really not a big issue, but convenience sure is. I would even go with castrol 2t if they carried it in the local Auto stores...and yeah, i've heard the stories about castrol too...maintenance doesn't bother me, b/c things have to be cleaned and changed one time or another

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Go to this web site you can buy a case (12 pints) of Mobil-1 MX2T oil for $38.45 + S&H.

http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/wg-order?unique=f4859&catalog=avlube&et=3eef4f61&basket=5Ccfe188d80030d53eef4859f41f880e188d805e67eccadfa4f76fc8d78ad776d

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
BRush,
Even though actually never really responded I went and bought and used. It's non-synthetic, rather clean burning...belive it or not, no spooge, very clean burning...ran it at 40:1 in an 02 modified kdx 200...defintiely wouldn't go beyond that-- I did end up buying a case of mobil 2x t, however I got activated and deployed and therefore haven't even tried it yet. Anyway, with regard to the valvoline I think I'm going to keep it for back up and see how the Mobil stuff works for awhile...I did alot research on the Valvoline 2 stroke motor oil and didn't turn up much...but hey, somebody has to be first one to use it...so I'm probably going to keep it around too. Acutally picking up a 98 KTM MXC 300 this weekend...maybe i'll use the valvoline in that bike..we'll see...for 2.99, it's not a bad deal at all!!

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
John, I've been using MX2T for a number of years and been pretty happy with it, but I was interested in Valvoline's "low smoke" claim on the bottle. I guess the real test would be how spooged up the power valve would get after a season of use.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
Hey BRush, I think you're right, that would be the true test. And trust me, I definitely just don't have the time to ride a whole season due all the military commitments these days..i can definitely tell you there very was mininal smoke produced. On the other, i think the oil thing is all relative...i try to keep my bike clean, well adjusted, etc...I've ridden 2 strokes on and off for the past 26 years...used all types of 2 stroke oils...when i was a little kid it was quaker state or penzoil, as a teenager/adult--klotz, castrol, belray, mobil, valvoline, golden spectro (noticed moderate spooge with GS)...haven't lost an engine yet...whaddya gonna do, ya' know...i've got a few bottles of valvoline 2t and a case of mobil mx 2t--...obviously my engine is going to blow and the world not's going to end because i didn't use "X" brand of oil...like i said i keep the stuff around and may be use it the ktm mxc 300..we'll see man...Hopefully, one day, i'll actually get to ride one of my bikes!!

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
That was me that asked that question. I did use it with good results. It was cheap like you said. It didn't do anything weird and my engine didn't seize. I used it only that one time, so I can't give you a long term review, but I mixed it 40:1. Goop didn't start pouring out of my silencer. So for that one time that I used it, it was fine.

Erik

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Thanks for the info. Did it seems to smoke any less than the MX2T? That would probably be my only incentive to switch.

john hubbard

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2003
I've never actually used the MX2t yet due to the military deployment. I have a brand new case waiting at home in Maryland. Probably won't to get to ride again until summer 2004 or Winter 2005...sorry BRush..wish i could help you on that..

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
There's an old saying.
It goes...."Ya gets whats ya pay for."
That is not to say that Valvoline is bad stuff, but that glop your mixing with your fuel is what keeps Mr.Motor happy and healthy and prevents him from saying bye bye. :confused:
I used to use Golden Spectro in my 2 smokes back home and was very satisfied. I also didnt think it was that expensive. (rebuild ARE expensive.)
It was sorta hard to come by here in the "four corners" area, so i tried a bunch of different goop. Found that RoyalPurple's premix (i used the standard stuff not the racing juice.) performed very well, and was easily accesible.
But i suppose its a mute point as i went totally to the "dark side" anyways.... :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom