paull

Jan 28, 2002
I HAVE A 1997 KDX200 I HAVE ONLY HAD IT 4 WEEKS AND IN THAT TIME IT HAS BEEN A GREAT BIKE TODAY WAS MY FIRST LONG RIDE IN WHICH CASE I HAD 2 TURN THE FUEL ONTO RESERVE AFTER 120KILOMETRES WHICH IS GREAT ECONOMY I THINK AFTER SWITCHING OVER 2 RESERVE I RODE 4 ANOTHER 5 MINUTES AND STOPPED 4 A 10 MINUTE BREAK AND WHEN I WENT 2 START IT AGAIN IT WOULD NOT GO IT WOULD ONLY BURBLE AS IF IT WAS STARVING 4 FUEL THE BREATHER IN THE FUEL CAP WAS LIGHTLY SUCKING AIR I LET IT SIT 4 ABOUT HALF AND HOUR AND IT FIRED UP PERFECTLY AND DID THE LAST 20KILOMETRES 2 HOME WITH NO HASSLES AT ALL I WAS HOPING SOMEONE MIGHT BE ABLE 2 SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS LITTLE PROBLEM I HAVE FIRED HER UP QUIT A NUMBER OF TIMES OVER THE LAST FEW HOURS WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL COULD THE FLOAT HAVE BEEN JAMMED OR IS THIS A NORMAL OCCURANCE ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'burble' and 'starving 4 fuel'?

Those are opposites (rich/lean), so I'm not sure what the situation was.

Still, some 'common' stuff:

First...what you're dealing with is a 'hot soak' situation. In as short a time period as your 'break', the engine temp probably rose a good bit from operating temperature. That's enough in itself to maybe give you a starting problem.

If the vent hose was 'lightly sucking air'..that sounds like a dynamic situation? Something that was ongoing? Shouldn't be. Pressure in the gas tank should be ambient atmospheric. Shouldn't be UNDER pressure or vacuum, either one. Not for any extended period (minutes) of time anyway.

Was your gas turned off?
On the sidestand? Know if it peed or not while sitting?
Did you turn the gas ON before you tried to start it....or as is the habit of some..did you try to start it FIRST, then turn on the gas? (No, I don't know why they do that).

Next time it happens, turn off the petcock, lean the back full-over on its side for 10-15 seconds. See if that makes a difference.

No...it's not 'normal'. There is something going on either with method or manner or the bike.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom