BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
DWreck, sorry to say but your folks are in for a HUGE shock when they get home. Trust me, you'll be running a chainsaw for a few weekends in B'ville.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
One thing my parents and I have in common is ZERO trees in our yards. That and we are related.

"If you can't mow it don't grow it." was the phrase us Turfgrass majors would recite to our Plant Materials instructor at OSU.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Well, I don't have to post pics now. My place looks the same with many more trees.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Stop changing my replies, who did that?! This is a bad reminder of the past practices that were happening here a few years back and I don't like that. And by the way, it's around 55 here, no snow.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I could have told you that silly.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
still no power here. i'm running off the inverter. my generator locked up this morning. :(

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Nearly all of the ice is gone. We got a dusting of snow this morning but nothing spectacular. The damage is beyond belief in some areas and most areas received damage. Still 100,000 power customers without power in NE Oklahoma.
Its amazing, not surprising, that the older people didn't fuss much about the outages. The younger people, however, are used to having things NOW. They can't handle life without electricity for more than a couple of hours, days without power is a conspiracy! The people hording supplies and racing to clean up their yards is comical. There is so much damage, cleanup will take months, many months. Scammers came out of the woodwork and theives have run amock.
As much as I love all the conveniences that society has come to expect, I really appreciate the hard work that many do to make it happen. A simple word of advice, be prepared. I know it's the Boy Scout moto but it really applies when dealing with Mother Nature. I hope that no one has to deal with this type of disaster but if you are prepared, be patient and keep your attitude positive. Don't rely on FEMA or the Red Cross for fast help it just won't happen. Yes, they will help but the politics envolved is perverse. FEMA brought in 31 commercial generators today from thier regional facility in Denton, TX. They were needed Monday, 5 days ago, and Denton is only 4 hours away. Most power has been restored in the urban areas while the rural areas are still being repaired. Some help FEMA is.
Hopefully, I can get back to riding soon. Lots of trail work to be done and few folks that really want to help, at least somethings don't change.;)

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Six inches of snow today. Two this morning, another four while we ran to Pizza Hut and the grocery store. I've always loved driving in it.......always hear "stay home unless it's an absolute emergency" on the truck radio. Today it bit back. Cars/trucks sprawled all over a nasty hill on the way home........ I went to turn around and slid sideways while stopped, into the ditch. My shiney, F350 4wd.....buried. 1&1/2 mile walk home. Brrrr. At least it's cold enough the groceries will be ok..........

Nov 28, 2006
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Six inches of snow today. Two this morning, another four while we ran to Pizza Hut and the grocery store. I've always loved driving in it.......always hear "stay home unless it's an absolute emergency" on the truck radio. Today it bit back. Cars/trucks sprawled all over a nasty hill on the way home........ I went to turn around and slid sideways while stopped, into the ditch. My shiney, F350 4wd.....buried. 1&1/2 mile walk home. Brrrr. At least it's cold enough the groceries will be ok..........

I've lived in Southern California all my life so all this is new to me. 2 Strokes: So what's the SOP with that kind of accident in a snowy place like where you are? Did you just lock the door and plan to come back later to get it out of the ditch? Do you worry about people messing with your truck?

Just seems so weird to me i guess..

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
We're in the suburbs/country 35 miles west of St Louis. Since pretty much everyone is stuck at home, it'll be ok.........but the snow plows will have it covered with snow since it sits just off the road. I grew up in LA, this is quite different than there.

Krabill

May 10, 2006
We didn't have it too bad. Only lost one tree and were without power for about 3 days. We camped out in the living room by the fireplace. The kids actually had fun "camping" and were upset when the power came back on because they'd have to sleep in their bedrooms again, lol.

Top Bottom