kc0rtg

May 19, 2006
My brother bought this Yamaha for 50 dollars from a friend and gave it to me. Has a 2 stroke 80cc engine. He thinks its a 1978.

VIN: 367-608043

I dont know what model this is so i can't buy parts for it.

I left the thing outside for a few weeks with the tank (metal) half full and the thing was rusted when i opened it. I have been trying to clean it by putting rocks inside and shaking it and its a little slow it would be nice if there was a plastic tank i could buy for this.

Oh i even took the time to charge the stupid camera and everything to get the pictures now i find i cant even put them on here because of the "SPAM KILLER" what a GREAT IDEA.

Go to my profile and then visit my gallery for the pictures of the bike.

Last edited:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The MX80 is a late '70's version of the mini-enduro. The mini enduro was popular in the early and mid '70's, but by '78 and '79 they were probably not selling very many.

Except for graphics, your bike looks identical to the ones they sold in the mid '70s, so there is probably lots of parts interchangeabiltiy with earlier years.

If the rust in the tank is not too bad I would not worry much about it. Just add a fuel filter.

depthwish

May 20, 2006
great link

This is a great link for identifying old yamaha's using the engine numbers. - Yamaha Vintage Dirt Bike I.D. Guide ...won't let me post the link but it is at off-road.(you know what) under dirtbikes

kc0rtg

May 19, 2006
Yeah, I had already come across that guide but couldnt match my serial with any of those. MX 80 isnt on the guide anyway. Thanks for the reply though!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I believe there was a street legal version of the 80cc mini enduro known as the GT 80.

The 60cc mini-enduro was the JT, or JT-1 or JT-2. There might be some chassis parts shared with the 80, but the motor is totally different.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
thats kinda funny you got that bike so cheap, about 7yrs ago me and a buddy split the exact same bike for $50 except ours was in a lot more worse condition.

mbaird

May 25, 2006
a GT80 was the 1st clutch bike I ever rode. (my buddies bike)
The gt80 also had lights and blinkers besides being yellow.

The following summer I sold my rupp rupster and bought a '75 mx250. It had a monoshock and a radial finned head (like a yz)
but it was white in color. Someone told me it was a canadian yz.

chowmain

Jun 3, 2006
i have a 95 yamaha 100 or 125 but i dont know what kind of oil to use because the guy i bought it off used to race itand i was woundering if i could ues regular 2 stroke oil or does it have to be the 2 stroke racing oil.

kc0rtg

May 19, 2006
Mmm...

Hey i know i made this thread along time ago HAHA but i got the bike out for the first time in a few months. I put the gas tank back on and attached the fuel hose from the tank valve to the carb. I turned the valve off and on a few times to try and fill the hose up with gas. The thing is that my throttle barely moves it seems locked up. I can only move it back a little bit. After a few minutes messing around i got it to idle. How can i fix the throttle, even when i pull it back a little there is no response from the engine. Idling bike is not entertaining. I store the bike outside and have had problems with a rusty tank in the past. It has always leaked a little gas around the carburator i dont know if it always leaked this much but around where the hose connects on the carb its all covered in gas maybe thats just because it hasnt been used for a while? :whoa: The line running from the throttle looks okay. :bang:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
my first bike was very similar to that bike.. Cept' it was a 60cc...

The colors were a bit different too.. It was the Yamaha yellow.. Cool bike. Wish I still had it.

kc0rtg

May 19, 2006
Dirty chain.

Hey, i still got this bike and i took it out in the mud to day and got the whole bike muddy. But my chain is also caked in mud and where it gos to the engine is filled with mud. What do i do to get this clean again? And is there somthing i can spray on there once its clean to keep it from collecting mud.

Since i took it in the mud today its hard to take of after its started. I have to wind it higher than usual before letting off the clutch.

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
Remove the small cover over the countershaft sprocket and dig out the junk. You may have a stick or something else jammed in between the sprocket and the case.
Aside from being white and the "MX" sticker on the tank, you bike looks identical to my GT80. It had the red tanks instead of the yellow ones.

Top Bottom