Ignition Cover- Do I need a new one??

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
My cr 80 came stock with a plastic ignition cover. I'm afraid that if i crash the bike, and a rock pokes a hole in the cheap plastic cover, leading to it being flooded with mud and screwing up my ignition. Would it be worth the cash to replace it with a metal one from an aftermarket company?

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
it depends on what you ride and how hard you ride. i replaced mine with an applied racing one that i got off ebay for 25 bucks. it was used but the only damage to it was surface scratching from boots. i replaced it for insurance, i ride a lot of pits and woods. the woods i ride have a lot of rocky sections and therefore it was worth the money. the pits also have some rocks hidden in the sand so there was another place i could ruin the stock plastic one. i wouldnt pay the 80 bucks for one but if you find one on ebay or from a friend it would be worth the money.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
the only reason to replace the stock unit is if you have water leaking past the gasket. the stock plastic will sometimes deform and allow moisture past. In the scenario you're speaking of an aftermarket cover not really help. If you bail hard enough to break the stock cover ( which is rather pliable) you would also break the aftermarket as well. they are not as flexable ( the reason for better sealing), but they are more brittle. now if you want to just look cool like pit monkey, then go for it, but my advise would be so save your money, and as pit monkey said to someone about buying a tire pen:
take all that money your spending on tire pens and put it into making yourself a better rider. ie: riding school, better protective gear, fixing the bike, making the bike faster. you get the idea

Last edited:

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
see the funny part aobut you is that you dont make sence. you just got done saying how a billet aluminum ignition cover will give better performance over a stock one. tire pens do absolutely nothing to improve a bike. btw billet aluminum will hold up to being smashed into a rock a little better than a plastic one. ive seen them crack it doesnt take much to destroy a stock one. all you have to do is have your bike slide down a bit and then stop with the iginition cover hitting a rock and bam its got a nice crack up the side. like i said, 25 dollar insurance. i like to know that when im on a trail that is covered in mud that if i fall or slide or drop the bike that the iginiton cover wont break and wont allow mud and water to enter and ruin the ignition system.

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
you need to learn to actually read what is written instead of what you want to hear. I said the only reason for the aftermarket is if yours leaks. The stock unit is plenty tough for the trails he is riding, and the aftermarket covers crack instead of flexing ( that is what the brillle comment was about) The aftermarket cover is only necessary if you have water sealing problems, and offers no "performance gains" But for riders like you that have to make up for the lack of skill by "looking cool" I can see why you would want one.
by the way how are those ears holding up?
you become a pest when you tell people not to waste there time on cosmetics, but to concentrate thier energies on improving thier riding then you make a comment like this:
my friend and i polished our swing arms together this summer. it took two days!!! but they look great.
don't be such a hypocrit. would you like me to continue my post search and dedicate a flame thread to all of yopur contradicting statements?
I'm trying to save the kid some $ by letting him know that you don't need a high dollar cover if you're not having a problem already.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Woah!! Thanks...What kinda hit would it take to render a stock pipe useless?? My xr's skidplate took alot of hits and i'm worried my pipe might do the same. Its already got a few small dings in it. And does a aftermarket pipe that is 20% thicker provide more protection from dinging?

yardpro

Gone Bye-Bye
Oct 15, 2001
the only aftermarket pipe that I know of that is reputed to be stronger than stock in the FMF gnarly. that is also the only pipe that gives good low end. All the other aftermarket pipes more or less shift the power curve up towards mid and up. From one of your other posts, that's not what you want. You'd be better off with a good pipe guard ( they're also a lot less expensive )

Pit_Monkey

May 19, 2001
<Mod Edit>

You've been warned about this stuff before and you won't be warned again. Next time we have to edit one of your idiotic posts YOU ARE GONE FOR GOOD. You lend ZERO value to this place so if you can't act civilized go back to dirtbike.com.

<end>

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
In general ..many riders replace the ignition or even the OEM clutch covers with billet ones.
Its WHY we started making billet clutch covers as well as ignition covers.
Are they nessary? no..

are they helpful if you ride in LOTS of rocks especially out west where you may be miles and miles from camp and bust a OEM clutch cover from tipping over ?
yes.

are they pretty ? lol I think so...
so the "trick factor "
probably sells more of them than the practicality..
but hey..
the whole BIKE is a toy after all, unless you race /ride professionally.

wizard69

May 3, 2001
to change an ignition cover do you have to do anything but take the old one off and bolt the new one on?is anything spring loaded in there that will be hard to put back in?
thanx

Top Bottom