gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
just looking for some advice; we're working with an '05 RM250, and my rider says the front brake seems to require significantly more lever pressure than the '05 CR & '05 YZ models (and it's less confidence inspiring,too ). he's a very experienced "expert" level rider, and we've already tried the usual bleed/ chg pads- came stock with "honda" style line routing. anybody out there with some insight to this, or found some improvements?? (we have not tried the oversize rotor yet). we have given some consideration to trying a honda oem master assy,...thanks in advance, jack

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
I remember on my 99 KX I put the oem honda master cylinder along with a aftermarket steel braided front brake line...made the world of difference. My 2004 however doesn't seem to be nowhere near as bad (mushy) as the older bikes but I don't race anymore so I don't care regardless.

gas gas jack

Nov 7, 2001
thanks, guys, i really appreciate your help!! did anyone "see" anything on the RM brake components to suggest a weakness, that another manufacturer had done better with?
while we're on it, i know the "fix" with these RM clutches seems to be the "hinson" way, but what really is the problem with how these suzuki clutches are designed/built??

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
my brake was mushy, and i bled it several times. however, try and push the pistons all the way in with the bleeder open- makes it nice and strong.

as for the clutch, IMO, the stock RM clutches are no better or worse than the CR, KX, YZs.....mines been raced everyweek since august, and its in perfect condition, and i ABUSE the clutch!! Valvoline 10/40 is your friend.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
bclapham said:
as for the clutch, IMO, the stock RM clutches are no better or worse than the CR, KX, YZs.....mines been raced everyweek since august, and its in perfect condition, and i ABUSE the clutch!! Valvoline 10/40 is your friend.

I agree... All stock clutch baskets are made of cheap metal and are gonna notch up after time. My 97 KX250 started to get clutch drag and when I took it apart it was notched up so bad I couldn't believe the thing actually worked. I put a hinson on there and it was bullet proof. Thing is, now I don't ride enough or keep a bike long enough to worry about the clutch going bad. Anymore I just buy a new bike, add some pro-tapers, a skid plate, pipe and hand guards and replace the rest as it wears out... I think zooks got a bad rep because they make more mechanical noise then the others...

Top Bottom