dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
I'm new to the site, but I wanted to say how much I loved the 2003 400EXC I rode this weekend. We were riding at Loretta's for a XC ride and me being a (former) sport quad rider, this was a fairly new experience for me. What I mean is I had ridden a KDX220 and a CR250 (woods) some, but not a newer 4 stroke. It was awesome! Even though I was still getting my balance, riding slower in the woods and trying to keep it between the trees, the KTM was inspiring. There was this one hill that was clogged by a kid (who had help already) on a XR70 and guys on bikes were making new lines everywhere... but me.. I sat looking at different lines. Finally, I spotted a line that I thought I could make and it was true single track. The KTM gave me the confidence to go for it. Heck, I got so excited and was grinning from ear to ear that I actually fell over since I got the front end light going up... I immediately grabbed the front brake, picked up the bike, hit the starter button and continued on. If I had the $$ I would be buying one of those instead of the CR250 that I rode earlier and later in the day.

KTM was there demo-ing all of their 2005's and '06's too. While I didn't try one out due to my inexperience and lack of funds, most of my friends did. They all raved about the new 450EXC (I think that's what it was) and how smooth the power delivery was.

There is a funny side to this too. My friend, who I'm buying the CR from, had been on the 450 for several laps on this loop and had gotten use to the power from it. Later, we were behind him when he was on the CR and approached this small jump. He blasted off into the trees! ;) It was funny and he had hoped nobody was watching, but we were. He said he forgot that he was on the CR, gotten use to holding the throttle open on KTM, and the CR suprised him when it got on the pipe. Needless to say, he's buying a 450MXC setup for woods this weekend.

The moral of this story is KTM sold some bikes at Loretta's this past weekend!

Last edited:

MrKartoom

Nov 3, 2005
I know exactly what you mean about the 400EXC. The motor is very smooth and revs well. I rode an '06 400 and 450 back to back trying to decide which one. I loved them both but went with the 450 for the extra grunt. I have a 520SX now so I'm used to the power. I would really have been happy with either one. Both are unbelievably good woods weapons that inspire confidence. I'd been riding my 520 in the woods a lot lately and I didn't realize how good the EXC's are. Now I'm thinking about trying an enduro. I've been waiting almost a month now for it to show up dammit.:bang:

Top Bottom