*In need of some help.. Serious concerns

yz125rider99

Jul 8, 2006
Hi, im new to the dirtbiking world as of last august. Have gone riding on my new bike 3 times and 2 of the times were at a track. My first complaint is that my bike (1999 yz125) only has gear oil in it. I dont know how to put dot4 oil in the rear break system and the front break resovoir, the screw to get the cover off are stripped. Meaning i have been riding with it dry. Also, after a long ride. I come back to the camp and the bike seems to not want 2 get out of gear and go into neutral. It takes awhile and eventually it gets to neutral. Its very irritating and i really wonder if somethigns wrong. I also have a lot of maintenence questions like what to do if u dont know how many hours are on the top and bottom end. Also the front wheel sort of jiggles a little because the bearings look kinda warped and i dont know what to do. Thank you and im sorry for so many questions but i am new yet i love everything about it. :laugh:

-yz125 rider

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
soon this will get moved to the correct forum. then you should get some help. welcome to the sport.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You can go to any Sears and get a screw extractor (you can also get them as most other places that sell tools) to remove the stuck screws. To use it, you drill a hole into the screw then push the extractor into it while turning counter clockwise. If you have a high torque drill, you can chuck the extractor into it, but make sure you switch it to the high torque, low speed setting.

As far as the neutral issue, it is easier to find neutral while the bike is moving. In fact, I am going riding in a couple hours at a track where I frequently find neutral in the same corner (really soft sand with a large sandy slope to climb immediately after it). Changing the oil might help a little. The drain bolt is on the bottom (it should be pretty obvious which one it is, but I am not familiar with the particular bike). Sign up here and look through the parts schematics if you are in doubt. Somewhere near the fill hole, you should find a number either stamped or more likely molded into the case, it will probably be something like 650ml, that is the fluid capacity. I use BelRay 75wt in my machine, but if you do a search, you will find a couple hundred opinions about oil preferences.

For your steering, it might just be loose, but take it apart and take a look just in case, I'm not going to detail the process, but you have to get the bars out of the way, pull of the top clamp, then a big pair of vise grips should get you by without the special tool. While you are in there, re-grease the bearings.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005

1. are you talking about transmission oil ? or are you confusing trans. oil with brake fluid ?

2. for you stripped resy screws , just get a drill bit a bit smaller than the head of the screw (about 3/4 the size) and just drill the head off GO SLOWLY. when you get down to the shank (threaded section) of the screw the head will pop off and you can just screw the shank out by hand. i usually replace then with stainless since they are stronger and wont corrode.

3. is your clutch adjust correctly ? old trans oil ? might be some wear in your shift forks in the trans. only way to diag that correctly is with a complete tear down.

4. you can do a compression test and compare your reading with a NEW TOP end reading. if its around a 100PSI then its time for a new top end.

5. that could be a couple things.........
a. loose spokes
b. bad wheel bearings

get yourself a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL and that will answer all your questions and show you how to fix these problems.
good luck

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Another option for the screws is to put anti seize on the threads before putting them in. Works great.

I can't understand why they don't put hex/allen heads in the brake reservoirs . . . :bang:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…