yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey Rich,
I was reading some stuff on MXA's website the other day and I found this . I throughly trust MXA;) , and I'm going to beat my stock pipe in with a sledgehammer. This is all true, isn't it? Just thought it was funny
-yzeater

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, so they went out and did a controlled test and you are saying you don't believe them? It sounds like they tried to do a fair comparison. Not that I think you're going to actually purposely dent your pipe, but at least you know what it does. Why don't you believe them?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
interesting test. that (pipe dents) is one of those things i've always wondered about. i'd like to have seen them test another new pipe immediately afterwards to verify the initial dyno readings.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Dynos vary by over 0.5hp each run even within minutes of a reading.Each dyno session you do 3 runs to try to get a decent average.You could always take the best from one run,change something then compare it to the worst of the second run-but that would be dishonest:confused:

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
:think Is a custom dented pipe worth more$$$$$$
I was thinking of asking 250$(more dents would optional of course)
pre-spooging is free

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by DEA
pre-spooging is free
LOL LOL :) :) :)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by DEA
pre-spooging is free

If I were you, I'd keep your pre-spooging prob to yourself:o

Otherwise, what I found interesting wasn't the modest gians/losses, but just the fact that such drastic changes in the pipes didn't result in much of a difference in performance whatsoever. It makes a fella wonder what Pro Circuit does all day long "testing" new pipes. Crap, I think I'll start making pipes.

You hear that? Zio is now taking orders for "custom" pipes. I'll even gold-plate them for you, if you're from south of the border & prefer that look. Canadians can get theirs made out of maple.

10% off my already low, low prices this week only! 125 pipes start at $50, 250 pipes are only $75, and open class bikes get macho pipes for $100. Here's a pic of my open class pipe, for those big guys who like the world to know they've got big "plumbing":

Attachments

• pipe.gif
    pipe.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 294

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Maybe a stomach. :eek:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, it's at LEAST part of the gastrointestinal system. Perhaps a cow ruminant? (Take it from a doc;) ) My bet is that ruminant pipe would increase torque across the midrange, but fail miserably in overrev.:eek:

Dynos vary by over 0.5hp each run even within minutes of a reading.Each dyno session you do 3 runs to try to get a decent average

Exactomundo. And your point, mx547 as well. It's unreal how lame an approach some take during testing. If you're going to be dealing with potential differences of 0.5hp, you'd better do a lot of things. Certainly, establish that the dyno has a sensitivity range of at least 10 times that value (.05hp--not possible. Hence the common "scam" with pipes anyway.) You'd have to make sure the motor temp, amb. temp, bar. pressure, etc. were the same. Then do MULTIPLE runs pre/post changes for validation & averaging. :silly:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well you got to atleast give them this. In this article they weren't pushing you to buy the latest greatest, most expensive gizmo out there.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Well, you just CAN'T ride a bike with a dent in the pipe!!:scream:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
That's what the stupid people who read MXA will do...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...buy shiney pipe...dent it...it's dented, so...

Top Bottom