IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
My pickup (92 Toyota 4x4 4cyl) in the last month or two has gained about 4- 5 MPG for some reason. I haven't done anything to it nor have I changed my driving habits. Anyone have a clue as to why my MPG would go up so much? BTW I'm not complaing about this, just kinda wondering.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
It must be because the potatoes are ready for harvest.

That era of Toyota motors had very consistent mpgs either on or off the highway. Was the mileage poor and now it is reasonable, say 23 for the 4 cylinder? Or do you now get 30?

Are you checking the mileage by filling it up to the top and measuring miles with the odometer and then refilling it back up to the top and use the pump reading to figure mpg? this is the only correct way.

Is the exhaust note louder? Maybe you blew out your catalytic converter. If that gave you 5 mpg I would be cutting mine off too.

I suspect something bad was happening and it fixed itself so that you now have a good running engine. Nah, its just your excessive starch intake.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Yep I'm doing the MPG check correctly. I used to get around 13-14 in town and now I'm getting around 18-19. Its crazy, but nice. I did just pay it off and get it repainted, maybe its happy about that?

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I would have been worried with the 13 that something was wrong. Maybe your brakes were sticking/dragging. Does it coast faster or further now? 20 mpg is very reasonable with that engine and truck in Idaho so now you're about right. Keep an eye on your brake linings for excessive wear.

On the off chance it was running very rich or not combusting completely you would get a lot of contaminants in your oil so it may be a good idea to change the oil and filter.

Do you have to go up the steep hill towards washington every day? that may give you crappier mileage but not 13.

RoadRash

Sep 13, 2000
Perhaps your son just went back to college?:D 13-14 around town does sound kind of low for a 4 cylinder. But then again I've never owned a truck so maybe you are just lucky.

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
I know you said you haven't done anything to it BUT... along with the new paint you didn't happen to put on a new set of tires also. maybe shorter(smaller O.D.) than the last set. this would have the effect of causing the odometer to roll up faster and indicate more miles between fillups:confused:
Just my $.02

Top Bottom