maco

Apr 16, 2003
Hows it?I don't own a KDX but would like to know more about whick model might be good for me.I'm used to the XR,that's all I know.Trails here are tightand guarenteed I'll be lifting the bike up off the ground.I had an older XR 200 that was so top heavy I felt it was causing problems going over cause of that.Maybe it was me but not sure.Anyway switching over to a 2 stroke seems like I'd have to learn all over how to keep the power going?I've heard the KDX is more forgiving and intended for trails.But wondering if tight trails would be hard to move it around.Do I sound confused?I'm riding a XR 200 now that is OK and I've put emulators in the forks.I'm 5'9" about 185.I like the low end on the 200 and the trails are so tight and constantly turning I'm usually in 2nd or 1st.Most people here ride 2 strokes and mod them for the trails.What do you think?A KDX 200?I'll never ride track I just like trails and dirt roads don't do a lot for me unless it's to refresh till the next trail.Thanks for any input

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Maco,
I must say that the Kdx is an excellent choice. I too used to ride a 95' XR250 and I liked it, but the KDX is lighter and less top heavy. I pretty much ride single track here in WV. My kdx is an 01' 200cc. It has more than enough power for the gnarlyest of hills here in WV. One of the first mods I did was to ditch the stock expansion chamber and silencer for a Pro Circuit brand pipe. This woke up the motor almost instantly. My motor is otherwise stock. I did however drill out my airbox and put in little foam vents made by Uni. I had to re jet the carb because they come from the factory way too rich. Any way, if you get the Kdx, I know you will like it! I love my KDX!!!
Good luck.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
You will love the KDX200! I am 205 lbs. and it hauls me around quite speedily.
It negotiates tight 1st gear trails like no other. Buy one.

I just saw a brand new one the other day at a dealer in NH. It lists for $3999.00, but he said he'd take $3600.00 cash for it.

How can you go wrong?

breadman30

Apr 16, 2003
Guys correct me if wrong? when you put new after market pipe and silncer
and remove lid or drill holes buy changeing air flow coming in motor and going out motor ... wouldn`t this in itself lean it up some? I have seen post
with the lean issue in it so with these mods shouldn`t be close? or is it crazy rich from the factory? I know with my 01 Raptor it came lean from the factory
when i changed the pipe and air box setup i had to go from 140/145 mains
to 160/165 to get it right? anyway still a newbe thats why i`m in a kdx fourm so i can learn everthing i need to know! Thanks for reading~~~~

maco

Apr 16, 2003
KDX and Jackpine-Thanks for the info and encouragment.I'm not concerned about the power cause I know it will be mor than enough for me.After fundemnetal carb and exhaust mods I would be looking more on getting the suspension set right.Jackpinner- you sound like your riding tight single track and have to run in 1st at times.This is what I ride so your saying go for it that's what the KDX 200 loves.And KDX yur from W.Virginia so I picture woods riding there also.For a used one has ther been any recent changes in the last three years that would make those models favorable? And what's the big deal with inverted forks?Why are they considered so much state of the art even for trail riding not traack riding?What do you think?

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
I've just converted my KDX to KX125 inverted forks. Cost:$400 including wheel,axle,t-clamp,rotor,caliper,etc....but I sold my origional setup for $250 for a final sum of $150. That is cheaper than revalving and heavier springs. KDX has a stock front suspension for a rider of less than 150 lbs. Once you start jamming on this bike you will quickly exceed the forks capacity. The KX setup is fully adustable and is called the "Ultimate Cheater". If anyone wants to try this and needs specific information on how it is done, e-mail me at [email protected] and I will fill you in. No need for you to discover all the hassles the way I did. Now that I know what to do, it is extreamly easy, less than a couple of hours for me and probably less than a half hour for someone who knows what they are doing. I will send photos to anyone asking as well.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Thanks for the input-I get the feeling that the KDX is a favorite on the East coast more than the west.The next questions might seem redunent.With either KDX would I be replacing thepiston and rings around once a year?That would be riding around 15 hours a month.Or is this unnecessary with excellent maintenance.I've never done this so it seems like a big deal,is it?I think I would go used on the KDX.Is there any years between 95 up to shy away from?After going through the forum and looking at the tech section it's apparent that certain mods are a must.they seem to be better fork springs,better reeds,flywheel weight, and a heigher performance muffler.Someone told me the stock handlebars should be replaced because of there weight.I mention these mods as a bottom line,fundementals to the bike to make it more enjoyable.Here it's all single track and rarely past 3rd gear.For me the stock power with the abovecarb and exhaust mods would be enough power.More so suspension to handle the terrain.Any more feedback would be great

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I think you will love the KDX just as it comes from the factory. The piston and rings should last you 2 or 3 yrs.

Get the KDX200. :thumb:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I rode an xr 200 for close to 10 years (bought new in '87) and thought highly of it on tight single track. Bought an xr 400 in '97 and thought highly of it. It was even better in the tight stuff. Bought a kdx 220 in '02 and its the best yet. Much less tiring, no more maintenance, and from what I hear just as reliable as the xr line.
The best thing I've done to it was a little suspension work. Got the required info and guidance here.

Karl P.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Originally posted by maco
For a used one has ther been any recent changes in the last three years that would make those models favorable?

Not much has changed since the '95 update. I think the pegs and kickstarter attach a little differently on recent years. That's about it from what I've seen. The great thing about this is that you could feasibly make a KDX go a LONG time, with the interchangeability of parts, and the sheer numbers that were built. Lots of spares out there.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
My 92 KDX 200 has never been touched and it has 140 pounds of compression. Going on 11 years without a rebuild. That's pretty good if you ask me! :)

But I have had it for 2 years... I don't think it was hardly ridden!

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Thanks for posting your opinions-A friend said I could try his 220 soon on some of our trails.I'm thinking the 220 might be better for my style on these tight trails.I'm used to the XR.But it seems cramped after riding for a couple of hours.Since most of the riding is tight with constant up and downhills,roots.switchbacks,I'm usually in 1st,2nd and third.With this in mind and me being a pokey rider does the 220 make more sense?Wasn't the intention of Kawasaki in making a 220 for slower torqier trailriding?Most of the guys here run 250 2strokes converted for the trails.I guess cause there light and have the power to get out of trouble.But for me at this stage of the game they seem to much.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Maco:
From the description of your riding area and how you intend to ride, my otherwise completely ignorant and biased point of view would lean toward a 220. The 200 is considerably faster and revs considerably higher. It DOES have a piston in it that works...the 220 piston is known to be weak, and has at times grenaded in relatively new, relatively stock 220s. Might keep that in mind.

Still, for riders that will tend to putt or be completely grunt related the 220 may suit 'em better.

If you plan on keeping up with a 200exc (for example), you'll need the 200 and every mod you can do to it. No...I can't begin to keep up with the orange guy I ride with..but I couldn't keep up with him if he was on his kid's cr80r, either!

Topends are no big deal. $150 in parts and an afternoon and you're done.

btw...with an aftermarket pipe/SA and drilled airbox lid, you'll still be rich in most cases. Depends on how/where you ride. There is no one-size-fits-all jetting sequence. It has to be tailored to fit the bike, the conditions AND the rider.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Canyncarver-Thanks man-I need feedback.Yeah I live in Hawaii,on Kauai.There's very little C type trails here,roads.Mostly what I call B or A trails.Hardly ever flat more up and down.I've been reading this forum everyday for about 3 weeks trying to understand the KDX,well the best yu can by just reading.I'm starting to recognize some of the names and how they post.Like you guys I love riding trails.Wish I started younger but who cares.I wouldnt go out and buy a new Kdx but would go used to see how I'd do on one.You said the piston on the 220 has a rep for being weaker.Is that an issue because of the rider or an inherent weakness for some 220s?I've seen a few guys and girls riding trails on the KDX.I now it would be a big step up for me in power and suspension potential.Everyone here talks about the suspension,especially front,and how it's lacking in stock form.Funny that Kawa didn't do it right but guess there saving bucks.Course the KDX doesn't cost 6 grand new.Anyway I'm rambling,if anyone else knows of issues with either bike or just wants to say how much they like there bike please jump in .Especially guys that ride woods or single track terrain-thanks

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Jackpinner-What gears are you primarily in?Do yu have to slow down a lot for tight spots,going through trees with an inch on either side of the handlebar.Relentless hairpin turns and step ups with slick roots?Hve you always been on a 2 stroke?Have you modified your 200 for low end torque?Boy,do I ask a lot of questions or what?Vermont sounds like a neat place to ride.I bet it's beautiful in the fall.There's another site dedicated to XRs and guys say they handle tight woods on 250s and 400s.They must be young and strong or never fall cause I don't see how they manage the weight of bigger XRs.I finally found other posts with that are asking the some questions I have.I'm still reading up on the replies.I've seen your name on a couple.Thanks for still posting here.By the way,How good is the riding in Vermont?

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Riding in Vermont is a blast. I have always been a 2-stroke rider. There are tons of single track trails. I do a lot of trail breaking too, where first gear up tight twisty , slippery steep stuff is the norm. In some cases there is no trail, so I have to find a line through the woods over downed logs, ledges, brooks etc.
I use all of my gears. I go from first gear trails right out into fields, power lines, moose paths, you name it at WOT through sixth gear when things open up. The power lines here are not for cruisers. They are steep, rocky, deep mud bogs, flooded,brooks, rivers etc.

My KDX200 is stock except for EE barkbusters and Holes drilled in the airbox lid. I am over 200 lbs. and this thing pulls me through everything. I have stock sprockets and I love the gear ratio's with them. I am not changing the gearing. It has the low end torque I need and the top end I like.

I think that a new pipe will be ordered soon. Probably a ProCircuit because I hear it will enhance the low, mid, and top. I won't give up top end for lot's of torque down low. As long as the PC pipe doen't take away from down low I'll love it.

Also,.40kg fork springs are on their way from Fredette. I really need those!

Did I say it before? Get the KDX200. :thumb:

Last edited:

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Pinner-Sounds good, real good.That sounds like the way trail riding should be.You must take it to the max during riding season,then lick your wounds in the Winter.Do you have to cut trails there to keep them open?Do you get hasseled by regs against 2 strokes?We don't here but riding areas are getting scarse.I can see why you love the 200,it's the perfect bike for you and where you ride.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
maco, Some of the trails need to be maintained here. New growth and washouts sometimes need to be attended to.

There are no restrictions on 2 strokes.

Winter riding can be a lot of fun, as long as the snow isn't too deep.

Respect for private lands are most important. Quiet bikes are a must! Most trails are on private land. Getting permission from landowners is important. All of these things help to promote our sport.

Good luck in your pursuit of a KDX!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'You said the piston on the 220 has a rep for being weaker.Is that an issue because of the rider or an inherent weakness for some 220s?'

Inherent weakness.

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Carver-Do you know the why it's weaker?Is it certain years?Seems like that should be replaced before she goes but maybe theodds are low that it will.What do you think?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: why it's weaker

Design problems.

Sharp edges on castings lead to cracks for one thing. Those that have looked at one (not me) have said there are plenty of those (edges) on the underneath side of a 220 piston.

There's a heckuva lot more to piston design than machining (or casting) a piece of aluminum to a specific measurement value (crown heighth, diameter, skirt length, pin boss location etc.) having a couple of ring lands cut into it somewheres.

It's weaker because it was/is designed poorly. Evidently kawi doesn't think it's a problem or presumeably they would change the piston. That notwithstanding, there is anecdotal and statistical information on piston failure in the 220 that makes such failure more than serendipity.

GREENHORNET

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2003
Maco Stick with a 220 yes there is a problem with the pistion but only if you modify your bike alot, i went 2 year with no airbox lid and a FmF Gnarly pipe and a set of Boysen reeds. THis year i spent $350 to put a new Wiseco pistion and i had the KIPS cleaned, I too heard about the trouble with the bike so i changed it- if you go light on the mods you should be allright. If your worried about having a slow bike get a Gnarly REV pipe it will Knock your socks off- The 220 gets better and better with each mod you put on it right now i have- FmF Gnarly REV AND GRUNT pipe ,BOysen RAD valve TWIn AIR filter, RB DESIGN BORED Carb Turbine CORE 2 silencer,. Trail TECH computer E-LINE carbon fiber pipe guard, I run NGK Irdium plugs Stealhy Flywheel weight and so on Hope this gives you and idea of what you can do to a 220 Its a lot of fun but its not a cheap sport Good luck in choosing a bike i am sure what ever you choose will be right for you. Happy Trails :)

maco

Apr 16, 2003
Thanks green Hornet-for taking the time to post.Sounds like you made good choices in mods for your 220,based on what people talk about on this forum.Never having ridden a 2 stroker. I would probably go with the 220 cause it sounds like more my style.Got to start somewhere.No doubt I will go used and try to find something maintained,maybe even some mods already made.Even though there are priorities in life you gotta consider the fun factor.What's it all about anyway?Someone said you got to follow your bliss.Here I'm already seeing the writting on the wall,and it isn't good for trail riding.Like a lot of places it's being dicovered,diced up and sold off.I like this sight and am going to subscribe to support it.There's a lot of trail riders here and that's what I can relate to.Not sure if there's anywhere on DRN that talks about places on the mainland to ride but I'm going to check.Would love to take a summer and cruise the places you guys ride.Aloha means a lot of things for one word and one is respect,thanks.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom